Sugar Free Options

Baking By kwaples001 Updated 22 Jul 2017 , 12:05pm by kwaples001

kwaples001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwaples001 Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know of a way to decorate a cake with sugarfree frosting? Something that will hold up that can actually be used for piping without losing its shape? Does anyone have a receipt? 

9 replies
Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 10

I can't think of any traditional frosting that doesn't use sugar.

Technically, technically, you could make a meringue with zero sugar, but I've never tried it. I just know that it's theoretically possible.

Fresh whipped cream doesn't absolutely need sugar but it's obviously not the best for piping.

You'll really need to compensate in terms of flavor for this cake if you're determined to go sugar free.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 1:51am
post #3 of 10

Don't see why you couldn't use the Wilton recipe for stabilized whip cream frosting and instead of adding the regular sugar add the powdered stevia or splenda. Wilton recipe uses piping gel in the whipping cream which does stabilize it so you would be able to pipe with it. If you try let us know how this worked with the artificial sugar. Since my husband is diabetic I may try this next time I make a cake. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 7:19am
post #4 of 10

Stabilized whipped cream pipes beautifully, there is a wilton's recipe that uses only cream and gelatin, it's great, just remember to temper your warm gelatin with the cold cream before adding it to the rest of your whipped cream to get it lovely and smooth.

I used it to make a rosette cake that held up for days by the time we ate it all.

http://www.food.com/recipe/wilton-stabilized-whipped-cream-79506

just leave out the sugar, I always do and it works great.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 10:07am
post #5 of 10

Do not forget... Sugar isn't the only issue for diabetics... All Carbohydrates break down in the body into sugar, so any type of carbs must be accounted for in their diets... a cup of whipping cream still has 7 grams of carbs in it (approximately)... and 1 tablespoon of piping gel still has 18 grams of sugar... 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 10

Wow, I did not realize piping gel had that much sugar in it!! I feel so sorry for the diabetics!! It must really be hard for them to not be able to eat sweets!! I am also told that sugar free pudding will stabilize whipping cream but not sure how many carbs are in the pudding. If you only eat one piece of cake you will get less carbs but it is hard to stop when it tastes so good!!! No matter what they choose there will be some carbs in almost anything. 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 10

There are... Vegetables and Fruits have carbohydrates in them as well...

A diabetic does have it difficult, but if they do their counts, they can still have some sweets... it just needs to be planned into their diet plan...

And truthfully, I would rather have a tiny piece of regular cake and icing than a piece of something containing artificial sweeteners... I'm not diabetic, but I have several friends and family that are... 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 10

Soften 8 ounces cream cheese to room temperature and beat until smooth.  Mix in a small box of dry instant sugar free pudding until blended (it will stiff) then add 1 cup 1% milk.  Beat about two minutes, then fold in one small container sugar free Cool Whip.  Pipes nicely and sets up pretty well in the fridge.

Keep in mind there is probably no truly "sugar free" because even in no sugar is added, there is starch in it, but it's certainly lower than traditional icing for sure!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwaples001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwaples001 Posted 22 Jul 2017 , 12:05pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you very much. I'll give this a try!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%