Newbie Trying To Get Sharp Edgesgell

Decorating By Madam_Antoinette Updated 2 Aug 2017 , 4:35pm by Madam_Antoinette

Madam_Antoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madam_Antoinette Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 22

Hello, I am a newbie! My question is about achieving sharp edges. Now I bake my cakes let them settle and I'll frost them and put in the refrigerator for it to firm up... 1. how long do you leave your cakes in the fridge to firm before putting fondant on? 

2. After taking cake out of the fridge do you immediately cover with fondant or bring to room temperature?

3. How do you avoid the cake sweating? Should I leave my air conditioner on while covering with fondant?

21 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 22

Hello and welcome:)  I'll try to answer some of your ?s.

1) I do not chill my cakes to get the crumb coat to 'firm up'.  Never have.  My crumb coat will dry to the touch within 2-5 minutes all onit's own.

2) A crumb coat should be damp/'wet' in order for the fondant to stick to it.   I always add the fondant as soon as I finish cxrumb coating.  If for some reason it has dried I give it a quick spritz of water to dampen it again.  Or add another coat of icing.

3) There is really no way to advoid cake sweating.   I do live in a hot location (has been up to 102-106 for the last 15 days w/another week of the same  predicted) so I would not chill a cake.  Working at room temp helps prevent some, if not all, sweating.   Of course when it is hot/humid leave the AC on while covering w/any icing .  Once a cake is completed then it can/should be chilled before transporting.  Yes, it wll sweat but if it is not touched that will evaporate w/o any problems.  If possible box each tier before chilling.  This will cut down on the amount of sweating. 

Madam_Antoinette Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 22

So after crumb coating its not necessary to put that additional layer of buttercream? I would usually crumb coat put in fridge then give another coat... not necessary? And when you say box each layer what do you mean exactly? Thanks for the welcome!!!

Madam_Antoinette Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 22

And upon completing the entire cake put it back into the fridge?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 22

Sorry, yes, you do need that additional coat of b'cream but don't frige it between crumb & finish coats.  Once each tier is finished  place it in a cake box which is then placed into a plastic bag before placing it in the frige.   If you are going to completely stack & complete decorating before delivery, find a big moving box or some such for the cake to go into.  If you can't find a plastic bag big enough, that can be skipped - just box it.  Once you take it out for delivery do NOT open the box - DO NOT touch the cake in any way, shape for form.  Yes, it will sweat (unless the room temp is almost the same as the frig) but that will evaporate over time as the cake warms to room temp.

Madam_Antoinette Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 2:09am
post #6 of 22

So after the crumb coat do not refrigerate again. Yes I've learned the do not touch part about five cakes ago! Was sort of freaking out and thought the condensation was never going  away! Thanks a lot!

Madam_Antoinette Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 2:11am
post #7 of 22

I'm so sorry. But after you put that final coat of buttercream is it soft when you going to put your fondant on... or you're not concerned with it being firm?

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 4:46am
post #8 of 22

I do the opposite of kakeladi. I crumbcoat, refrigerate, final thicker coat, refrigerate for 20 minutes, moisten the cake slightly before covering with fondant. I don't refrigerate after as I'm in the uk and it's not so hot here but I'd follow kakeladi's boxing, wrapping and no touching method if I did. I'm not an expert, just wanted to give you a different perspective. 

caketownathens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketownathens Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 11:58am
post #9 of 22

Hi,

I do the same thing as @louglou. I use IMBC, which isn't as firm/doesn't crust the same way as american buttercream, and keep my cakes refrigerated at all times (I live in Greece and temperatures run pretty hot from May until October). 

I used to have issues with the fondant sweating when I used the Renshaw brand, but a few local cake shops have started selling their own fondant that's apparently fit to withstand the change in temperature when you take the cake out of the fridge, and I've never had issues with my fondant sweating since switching to a local brand. Maybe try experimenting with different types of fondant?

Madam_Antoinette Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 22

I'm in NYC and our summers are just terrible. But will let you ladies know how the cake cane out on Saturday! Thanks a lot very much appreciated. Another question I am using mold pieces, how far in advance do you make them. Can they be made the day before, I would still want them with flexibility so that I can put around the cake... what's your method to avoid it drying out

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 22

I use acrylic discs to get my sides straight, the top flat, and the edges super sharp. 

Madam_Antoinette Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 22

I have those... do you put parchment on the acrylic before putting on the cake? I had an issue using them initially

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 22

If you're using pieces from a mold, I wouldn't do them a day before and let them sit out as they will dry out, and when you go to shape them around the cake (if a round) they'll crack. Mold them, then place a piece of plastic wrap on top of them to keep them from drying out, and they'll stay flexible. 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 3:46pm
post #14 of 22

I do not use the discs, but I heard freezer paper works better than parchment?

moreCakePlz Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 22

I cover the top disc with Glad Press & Seal and that makes it super easy to separate the disc from the cake.  I've tried a few different methods and the Press & Seal one works best for me.   I have a How-To entry on my amature blog if you want to see the step-by-step process...

https://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2017/03/want-cakes-with-flat-tops-and-perfectly.html  

Madam_Antoinette Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks I'll do that wrap them in seran wrap..... I'll look at the blog right now! Thank you all

moreCakePlz Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 22

@Madam_Antoinette ‍ I don't think you can use Saran wrap.  The Press & Seal has a sticky side so it stays tight and secure on the disc. 

Carol

Madam_Antoinette Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 4:08pm
post #18 of 22

No I mean the seran for the mold, for me to keep its flexibility

640Cake Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 5:59pm
post #19 of 22

Plastic wrap would work for your mold pieces.  I use a Ziploc bag to keep mine in, removing as much air as possible.  Definitely would keep for a couple days just fine. 

Madam_Antoinette Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 10:00pm
post #20 of 22

So I should be able to paint it gold, let it dry then put in zip loc with all air taken out and it'll still be flexible? Correct

640Cake Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 12:19pm
post #21 of 22

I place them in a bag before painting them.  If you flex it after painting, I would think the paint would crack ?  If you can paint them on the side of a round (pan or dummy), you could cover them after drying - then they would already be shaped for the side of the cake.  I like to use half of a styrofoam dummy to dry pieces like that.

Madam_Antoinette Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 1:49pm
post #22 of 22

Makes sense @640Cake ‍ thanks 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%