Attach Seashells To Cake

Baking By mkcherry Updated 8 Jul 2017 , 6:13pm by kakeladi

mkcherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcherry Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 7:35am
post #1 of 3

The bride is looking for a cake like this but but wants a buttercream cakem with sugar flowers and a seahorse stuck to the side of the top tie. 

How should I apply the seashells to a buttercream cake? I don't use crusting buttercream and im wondering if I should use toothpicks and insert the items into the cake so they don't slide down side of the cake and drag the buttercream.  If not toothpicks what's a good idea? And for the ones that just lay horizontally on the edge  of the tiers could I  just place them on with a bit of buttercream at the event? 

Attach Seashells To Cake

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 3

just make the seahorse lightweight -- it will stick fine to the non-crusting icing -- and place it after arrival as well -- if you did use something underneath it -- i'd use a popsicle stick because its less likely to be bitten into and less likely to cause harm if it is bitten -- you could also pipe the seahorse -- no worries

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 3

No need for toothpicks or anything else.  Just pipe a tiny open circle of b'cream .  That willhold them just fine if they arn't too large/heavy.  I've attached all kinds of decos -  lg roses & shells included - w/that method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%