Employee Non-Compete Agreement

Business By Cakeme12345 Updated 31 May 2018 , 12:12am by KitchenSix

Cakeme12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeme12345 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 10

I work at a bakery decorating cakes. I was informed that I no longer can make my own children their birthday cakes at home as a breech of a non-compete contract and that I must make them and pay the bakery for the cakes from now on. This seems odd to me, baking my family desserts at home is a part of our routine, I have always made my children their birthday cakes. I don't see how that is competing with the bakery, I'm not selling them, not am I using the bakery recipes or advertising them as anything. Is that a fair contract or should I renegotiate those terms? I'm afraid since the bakery offers many other items I'll eventually be told I can't bake my kids cupcakes, cookies, muffins ect. 

9 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 10

That is something I would try to renegotiate, that seems really unfair since you're not selling( speaking purely from more of an emotional standpoint than a business one). What if you don't want a cake from that bakery, but from somewhere else? Are they then going to tell you that you can only buy cakes, cookies, etc from them? Making my kids their cakes is fun for me, and memories for them, I couldn't do it, but I don't know if I would have told them to begin with, so you're more honest than I lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 10

How long have you worked there?  Was this information given to you before you accepted the job or is it something recent after having worked there more than a couple of weeks? 

Any non-comp I have ever heard of has always refered to selling - not making family  desserts.  Definately try to renegotiate but don't be surprised if they don't back down.  

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 10

That seems very odd.  Like kakeldai said, a non-comp usually refers to selling products not things that you make for your family and consume in your own home.  I would speak with your manager about this to get some clarification because, like you, I would be worried that they would then tell me that I am not allowed to make any baked good at home for my own families consumption.

And honestly, I would just make the cakes anyway.  How would they know if I bake a cake at home?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 10

This sounds ridiculous!!!! Making cakes for your loved ones at home when you are not selling them nor making their recipes in the privacy of your home is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!!!!!  Who do they think they are??  I am pretty certain a lawyer would tell them the same thing!!! Too bad you don't have a lawyer in your family who could straighten them out. 

I remember what it was like working for someone else. They would make it hard on you probably harassing you and giving you a hard time if you bucked them about this. But I am pretty sure they are wrong to do this to you!!!! I am sure people here who have their own bakeries would know what the laws are stating about this. It would be different if you were selling  cakes from your home but that is not the case!!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 10

Hon, do you know for sure that this is part of the non-compete? Did you sign the non-compete? Something doesn't sound right. You're not a high-powered part of their corporate structure, are you? I don't believe they can plunge a greedy fist into your personal life and make such a demand. It's an overreach and a blatant grab for additional income. 

If it's for real, it's totally obnoxious. I feel outraged (can you tell?) and this isn't even my problem. How much do you want to keep this job? I guarantee that more surprises will be coming down the pike. 

In the meantime, for personal use, bake and decorate whatever you want in your home kitchen. 

Cakeme12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeme12345 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 10

I haven't signed anything yet, I'm waiting for them to give me a paper draft of the contract, which I will take to a lawyer before signing anything. I'm the only decorator for the bakery, all the cakes are original designs by me. This came up when I was casually talking about planning one of my kids birthday cake and party. It's seemed way off base, so I wanted to see what other people thought as well. 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 10

Yes! A lawyer!! Excellent next step. Now I feel better blush. Keep us posted, please.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 10

Like @MimiFix ‍, reading this makes my blood boil and my first reaction was QUIT!  I've never needed a job bad enough to have my employer tell me what I can and cannot do at home for my family.  It does not sound like a very nice place to work anyway.

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 31 May 2018 , 12:12am
post #10 of 10

So how did it go?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%