Is Ganache The Best To Work With In Hot Humid Weather, For A Cake Thats Going Outside ?

Decorating By ellimak13 Updated 14 Jun 2017 , 8:30pm by SandraSmiley

ellimak13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellimak13 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 3

Hello, if I use ganache instead of a crusting buttercream on my cake will it be fine in the heat. Or would you recommend crusting buttercream instead. I recently used buttercream on a cake and it began to slouch and melt due to the buttercream. Also if I'm covering a cake with white fondant is it best to use white ganache vs chocolate ganache ?

Thank you 

2 replies
moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 3

This video by Ann Reardon is interesting to watch.  She does a taste test of seven different kinds of frosting, but at the end of the video (at the 10 minute mark) she shows how each type of frosting holds up to heat.  Ganache melts the quickest.  Ermine, American Buttercream, cream cheese, and Italian meringue are the least heat sensitive. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 3

@ellimak13 ‍, how long was your cake setting at room temp, was it indoors or outdoors?  Because I had always heard that a fondant covered cake could not be refrigerated, I was leaving my cakes in their box on the kitchen counter after covering with fondant, for up 12 hours.  No matter how stiff I made my buttercream or whether or not I used all shortening instead of butter, the frosten would inevitably start to sag causing the fondant to droop and bulge.  I was advised by several professional friends that fondant cake can be refrigerated.  Now I refrigerate and it has solved the sagging problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%