Another Pricing Question

Business By Bells-N-Bows Updated 15 Jun 2017 , 12:54am by ladyonzlake

Bells-N-Bows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bells-N-Bows Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 2:30am
post #1 of 6

Hi, all!  I need some help here.  I have a request for a cake and I've never done one like it, so I really would appreciate some pricing references.

(I realized I have no pics here, but I use to many moons ago. I guess they were removed over time. Just want you to know it's not my 1st rodeo!  Just my first Henna!)

Bride wants small 3 tier, so 6, 8, 10.  Thanks so much for any help! Another Pricing Questionm

5 replies
Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 6

hmm I'm not sure. Is the pattern hand piped? that would take a long time. Are they sugar flowers or fresh? that makes a huge difference in time. What do you usually charge per serving?

If your base price is $3 per serving I suppose I'd add another $1 per serving for the intricate decorating. If she wants sugar flowers that would add a lot extra too becuase of the time investment.

So it's hard for anybody to give info I think without further details about your usual price  :)

Bells-N-Bows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bells-N-Bows Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Coffeelover77 for replying!  

Yes, $3/serving as a base price.

I will recommend fresh flowers. I've been making cakes for nearly 20 years, but am in the process of opening a storefront.  I am just a one woman show right now, so that many sugar flowers would be a bit much right now!  

I am thinking that it is hand piped, that's why I had no idea what to charge.   I've never done that much piping, nor so intricate.  It will be very time involved, so I need to charge accordingly. I was thinking at least $5/serving.  I am right outside Memphis, TN if that helps, as well.

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 6

I would think a $2 upcharge is fair for the piping but again it depends so much on how fast you'll be able to pipe this. I mean, I have never made a wedding cake and am pretty new to all this so i know I couldn't do this cake lol. I am good at fondant figures but bad at piping because I have shaky hands lol. But I assume you know you can do it, so maybe you could try piping one part of the design on a piece of paper and see how many attempts it takes you to get it right, and how long and then multiply that by X for the entire cake then factor the time that way.

but if you normally charge $3 per serving and they'll be providing the flowers, then I think $5/serving (so $500 for the cake) seems like a good ballpark figure.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 6

You know when I have my shop I wouldn't charge extra for that.   It is the design/decoration.  Would you pay extra for gravy on your mashed potatoes or hot beef sandwich in a resturaurnt?  That's what I equate it to.  Since your base price is $3, you could charge $3.50 or $4 but I think $5 is too much......that just my humble opinion :) 

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 12:54am
post #6 of 6

My cakes start at $5.00 per serving.  If it was me I would use stencils (saves time) and charge $6.00 -$7.00 per serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%