Flowers On Cakes

Baking By Cakesbybliss Updated 14 Jun 2017 , 1:40pm by Cakesbybliss

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 7:31am
post #1 of 11

Hello :) 

lately I've been having many clients requesting for a mix of different flowers (they'd often show me a picture). How does everyone here charge if there are very few flowers but a mix of different variety? To your florist do you just ask for a mixed bouquet? Sorry I'm really new to adding real flowers

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 11

You're talking real flowers??   Have the client specificed which flowers?   Actually whenever fresh flowers are required on a cake I make sure the bride knows that's the responsibility of her & the florist . 

Cakesbybliss Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 11

Oh okay. So you would pick them up yourself and the bride would place the order?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 11

No the bride orders them and the florist bring  the to the venue.  I always tried to coordinate the time so I placed them.  Do not put any stems into the cake unless they have been wrapped w/floral tape or dipped into melted chocolate or you have placed a straw in the cake & the stems go in that.  I usually would put a piece of wet cotton in the straw before placing the stem in.

Cakesbybliss Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 11

Okay :) thank you very much!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 11

Just ask your bride and give options.  The few weddings I have done did not have a florist to coordinate with, so on a few cakes, I ordered the flowers (and charged for them AND my time to get them) and then others opted to leave me the flowers on the cake table at the venue for placement.

If there is a specific arrangement needed, take it to a local florist to get a price and then let the bride know.  Be sure to tack on an extra charge for picking up the flowers.  Your bride may pay the extra to not worry about it or she may want to save a few bucks and have it ready for you at the venue.

Cakesbybliss Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you everyone!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 11

And please check to make sure the flowers are safe. Some really beautiful flowers are poisonous. From the Poison Control Center.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 1:51am
post #9 of 11

I love flower cakes but I do many different varieties of buttercream flowers!! There are tons of videos showing which piping tip to use on you tube and how to make all kinds of flowers. Very easy if you practice on wax paper till you get the hang of it or practicing on the round metal things to make flowers on top of. The Russian tips also are super easy to use and look beautiful. See videos of those as well on youtube. 

Many people love the gum paste flowers which also look beautiful but taste yucky!!! Some people use the plastic flowers from Micheal's which also look beautiful on the cakes. You have a large variety of flowers to choose from. Good luck, I know you will do just fine no matter what you choose!!!

nanavymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanavymom Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 9:30am
post #10 of 11

Thanks for these tips!  I also require the bride order the flowers, talk about avoiding poisonous flowers and for her to make sure they are pesticide-free! The florist would be bringing them, or the coordinator or bride makes sure they are there.

I do make gum paste flowers and sometimes order them. Just like real flowers, they aren't intended to be eaten, especially since many of them are wired or have artificial stamens. Choco-pan does make a very delicious gum paste, BTW.

Quote by @kakeladi on 1 day ago

Do not put any stems into the cake unless they have been wrapped w/floral tape or dipped into melted chocolate or you have placed a straw in the cake & the stems go in that.  I usually would put a piece of wet cotton in the straw before placing the stem in.

Cakesbybliss Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you everyone! And thank you for the warm wishes! Means a lot! The ideas are great and I never thought about the poisonous part

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%