Edible Image Decorations. Please Help!

Decorating By dream_cakes15 Updated 13 Jun 2017 , 11:35am by dream_cakes15

dream_cakes15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream_cakes15 Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 12

I have a cake to do this month that has a lot of edible image characters. I want to attach each character to a fondant cut out and then apply it to the cake. I was wondering if there is any possible way I could make it in a couple of weeks in advance, and store it without ruining it? 

I also wanted to know what is the best way of removing the edible images? The other day I had made a cake with a small image and placed the image  in the freezer for a min, and tried to peel it slowly as soon as I took it out but it began to tear a little half way trough. Thank goodness I had an extra!

Any suggestion would be sooo greatly appreciated!!! TIA!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 12

I made some for display cakes and they stayed just fine for months.  I made my own edible images- don't know if that would make a differen ce.                                  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

As for fzing an image, I don't know why one would do that.  Do they tell you to do that?  Does it come on a backing sheet and that's what you tried to take it off of?   I haven't worked directly w/a company Edible Image........not sure if they are  that much different from making one ...... it's still edible paper :)  

dream_cakes15 Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 12

I was told that if I freeze it for a minute that the backing will come off a lot easier, and it did seem to work. If I made it in advance how would you suggest I store it?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 12

Stor them flat in a cake box or similar out of light and away from any pets etc.   Sorry I put the wrong link in the 1st reply - here's the cake that was on display in the window of my cake shop: 

900_37MVo0_celebrate-the-usa.jpg

dream_cakes15 Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 12

Oh cool. Thank you for sharing! I was planning to attach the images around the cake flat against it. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can make it in advance and that it'll still be pliable for when it's time to put it on the cake. Sorry I hope that makes sense lol. Thank you for your help. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 12:05am
post #6 of 12

@dream_cakes15 ‍, I have never used edible images, but I have made lots of plaques from gum paste or pastillage.  To have them conform to the shape of your cake, wrap them around something the same size - I have used my cake pans with parchment paper taped on them - and let them dry.  As with kakeladi's cake above, it is often more effective if the images stand out from the cake giving a dimensional look.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 12:12am
post #7 of 12

The pictures are painted on cut out gum paste that I dried in a curved position.  They do not exactly conform to the size of the cake and I like the way they stand out a little.Edible Image Decorations. Please Help!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 12:13am
post #8 of 12

@kakeladi ‍, stop laughing at my piping, haha!

dream_cakes15 Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 4:32am
post #9 of 12

@SandraSmiley ‍ Wow that's really cool!!! I would of totally gone that route but I haven't really painted before. Wish I knew how! It'd probably save me a whole lot of time and headaches!!! lol 

chezzascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezzascakes Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 7:00am
post #10 of 12

I have just completed a big job that consisted of a main/centrepiece cake wth 650 cupcakes which each had an edible image of the school logo. I had 18 days to complete it. I cut out 650 fondant discs and when dried i stuck the images on each one. My daughter and her friend peeled and stuck the images to the discs a good 10 days before. I stored them in flat boxes with lids.

On the night before it was to be delivered and after i had finished the main cake I sprayed a tiny mist over the buttercream and placed the discs on.. and they looked great.Edible Image Decorations. Please Help!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 12

Awesome display @chezzascakes ‍ !  Wow, that is a lot of cupcakes!

@dream_cakes15 ‍, doing painting plaques like the Tom and Jerry is more like coloring in a coloring book.  Print your images and transfer them to your fondant and paint them with edible colors.  There are tutorials on YouTube that shows how to transfer your design and paint on fondant.  You can do it!

dream_cakes15 Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 11:35am
post #12 of 12

You all have been such great help. I really appreciate it!!!! Thank you so much!!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%