Refrigerating Real Roses

Baking By Cakesbybliss Updated 11 Jun 2017 , 12:51am by AnnieCahill

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hi :) 

i was wondering if anyone has decorated a cake with real roses and then refrigerated it over night. If so, how'd it go? i needed to make a wedding cake in the summer with real red roses and wasn't sure if I can set up the roses the day before and just place it in the fridge. 

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 7

Have you thought to call a florist w/that ?

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 7

I have asked the florist if it's fine to purchase them the day before and they said that's fine but I'm not sure if they'll know what will happen if the roses are inserted into a cake 

kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 7

Most should.  They deal w/wedding cakes almost as much as we do :)

kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 7

Most should.  They deal w/wedding cakes almost as much as we do :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 7

Hello @Cakesbybliss ‍,  I have not stored roses overnight inserted into a cake, but for many years I exhibited roses on a national level and am well aware of how they react to refrigeration - lol.  The roses should be refrigerated as long as possible before being removed for the wedding as the cool prevents premature opening.  If you insert them into the cake without water, it would be the same as leaving them lying on the kitchen counter.  They must have water to stay fresh.  Even with the small vials used by the florist, which could be inserted into the cake, there probably would not be enough water for more than a few hours, unlikely enough for overnight.  For optimum freshness, I would have everything ready to go and insert the roses as soon as you remove the cake for delivery or at the venue.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 12:51am
post #7 of 7

Yes they can be refrigerated overnight.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%