Bbq Skewer For Cake

Decorating By Coffeelover77 Updated 8 Jun 2017 , 10:42pm by SandraSmiley

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 16

I have a cake to make this weekend, it's just a gift to friends (I don't sell cakes)

I've made one two tier cake before and used straws to support. This time I think I am going to use either thicker straws or dowels. However my question is, I've read about people putting a long dowel in the whole cake for traveling. I have to drive 20 minutes with the cake, the other two tier cake I made I only had to drive less than one mile with. I'm a little concerned about the longer drive.

So I'm trying not to buy any more stuff lol. If I put a long bamboo bbq skewer in the whole cake for the car journey would that help? the cake will be a 9 and a 6 inch tier

15 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 16

@Coffeelover77 ‍, you can use bamboo skewers, but since they are rather thin, I would use three of them in a diamond pattern, to prevent slipping.  To offer real stability, the skewers should be anchored in the cake board. If you keep your cake refrigerated until you are ready to leave, it should be ok without central skewers.  Use non-slip mats under the cake board and underneath the cake box to prevent shifting.  If you want to really play it safe, transport the two tiers unstacked and stack them and trim out at the venue. I have transported four tier stacked cakes without a problem, but lately I have been stacking at the venue and it is SO much less stressful!

Coffeelover77 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you @SandraSmiley ‍  I am thinking maybe I should just stack there to save myself freaking out the whole drive that I'll open the box and find a mangled mess !!!

this is the cake I am trying to make 

Coffeelover77 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 16

hm it didn't post.. here is the link it is from someone here. Probably a bit ambitious for like my fifth cake ..ha

http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/gallery/2015/03/900_836478PAO7_my-little-pony-cake.jpg

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 16

Yes, you can stack on site but then you have to be very sure to take everything you might possibly need with you.   Usually you will forget something :(    You have to eventually get used to delivering tiered cakes.  A 2 tier is a good way to start.  You don't say what size but if it's like a 10/6 you should have not problem. If it's more like an 8/6 it could be a problem.  There is not enough base size/weight to help stablize the cake and tipping is possible if you end up having to stop fast or go around a corner too fast.    A center dowel can give false security but as the other poster said, if you use bamboo skewers put 3 of them in a triangle arrangement close together and be sure they are long enough to go deep into the base board the cake is on. Do not consider using them as your support dowels in place of straws.  They will absorb the moisture of a cake and can bend easily :(     Not sure why you want to change from using straws.......I have used them in cakes as much as 4 tiered.   I get the ones that are fat from McDonalds or a few other fast food places.  The are *very!* strong :)    And those cakes were delivered as much as an hour away. 

Coffeelover77 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 16

thank you for the reply @kakeladi ‍ !

I will use the straws as support for the bottom but I was wondering more about extra support to keep the layers together .. with the wooden stick.

It is 9 and 6 inch for the cakes and I did travel with that same size stacked cake but like I said it was 1 mile so I wasn't as worried.

So when you say deep into the cake board, what does that mean? Like the bottom board? it will be on a 1/2 thick drum covered with a thin layer of fondant, and then the six inch cardboard circle for teh small layer to sit on does have a hole, so the skewers could go through that so from the base of cake to the top?

Coffeelover77 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 16

sorry for all the questions ... this is the first cake I'm making that isn't for a direct family member and I feel a little nervous! I've also only made very few decorated cakes and only one tiered cake but I am enjoying this hobby

I have made the ponies for the cake and I am thinking maybe they should also travel seperately and be placed on when I get there, they won't actually be skewered in the cake but are free standing so could easily fall off I suppose

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 16

Make that center dowel at least 4-5" longer than the total heigth of the cake on the base board.  Just hammer it all the way into that base board.   I know some people make the center dowel 1" shorter than the cake but then there is no way to get it out which can lead to a serving nightmear:(  With it longer of course it is sticking up so when you get it to the venue, just pull it out by twisting as you pull up.  The hole is covered w/piped icing, a leaf or other decoration.   I agree the decos/ponies & rainbows should be placed once on site.   

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 16

One more tip for transporting, @Coffeelover77 ‍, I always use a box (sturdy cardboard, not a cake box) which is exactly the same width as my cake board so it fits snuggly with no wiggle room.  I turn the box on it's side so that it opens in the front for sliding out the cake.  If your box is a bit larger than your cake board, you can cut pieces of cardboard to slide in place around the cake board, again keeping it from sliding.  My husband has an SUV and he always secures the box in the back with a cargo net, so absolutely no sliding or tilting.

Coffeelover77 Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 12:27am
post #10 of 16

Thanks guys!

ive been having my husband make my cake boxes from shipping boxes I buy at staples. There's a YouTube video where you cut it and make it so the box lifts off

the past couple times I've carried it in my lap but this time I think I'll try to use the trunk and the cords back there for securing 

this is definitely nerve wrecking to think about! Like the cake might look great then has to go in the car and could be ruined eek!!

thanks for the help guys :)

Coffeelover77 Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 12:29am
post #11 of 16

@SandraSmiley ‍ yes the staples boxes I buy they only ever have 16x16x16 in the store so the 14 inch board will float around a bit but I will try like you said to put cardboard in and also I ordered a roll of non slip liner which I am hoping using some of that will help!

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 3:18am
post #12 of 16

@Coffeelover77 ‍, cut a square of cardboard 16" square, so it fits in your box, then cut a 14" circle out of the center of the square (hope this is making sense).  Visualize a square with a circle centered inside of it.  Now cut the square in half.  Slide one half of the square into your box, then place the cake so that it fits into the half circle.  Now slide in the second half of the square snuggly against the cake board.  The outer edges of the square should be touching the walls of the box on all four sides preventing your cake from moving.  It works great and can be used over and over.

Coffeelover77 Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 11:19am
post #13 of 16

That is genius @sandrasmiley thank you so much!!

i will use the straws in bottom, bamboo skewers through it all for travel and place the ponies on when I arrive. There will be a pony on top that will hide the skewer hole. I really would prefer not to stack there because I'm planning to put flowers and butterflies on both layers and I just don't want to be messing with it with everyone staring at me lol

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 16

I am guess that you will have no problems, @Coffeelover77 ‍!  Using the tips above and driving like a granny almost guarantees success!  Good luck - let us know how it goes!

Coffeelover77 Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 16

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 2 hours ago

I am guess that you will have no problems, @Coffeelover77 ‍!  Using the tips above and driving like a granny almost guarantees success!  Good luck - let us know how it goes!

thank you sandra for all your help and support!  I am excited but nervous.I'm considering doing the whole thing tomorrow (2 full days in advance) just to reduce my worry but I'll probably just wait until Saturday in case the cakes are less fresh if I do too far in advance...

this reminds me I have to run to staples after work to get that box!

thank you again for everything :) I'll post the finished picture and hopefully won't be posting a "omg my cake fell apart in the car" story!!

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 16

LOL - you won't have to post the "fell apart" story!  You can go ahead and do your cake now, if it's just two days in advance.  The cake will stay fresh for several days in the refrigerator.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%