Wwyd: Almond Joy Flavored Cake Without The Ganache?

Baking By Natiflor09 Updated 6 Jun 2017 , 7:10pm by kakeladi

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

A client has ordered a 2 tier buttercream decorated cake and has asked for one of the tiers to be "almond joy" flavor. Yet I always cover that cake in ganache and have never used buttercream. However since this client wants a buttercream design I'm undecided as to what would taste best. She doesn't have much of an opinion on the matter btw and is leaving it up to me.

Flavor wise ganache is obviously the best choice, so I thought maybe I could cover the cake in ganache and then ice the buttercream over it. But since the buttercream will be white, I'll need plenty to cover the dark brown ganache...which means that's a pretty thick layer of frosting overall on the cake. People don't have much of a sweet tooth in my area so I'm concerned ganache plus BC would be overkill.

On the other hand, I could just ice the cake with BC (coconut flavored probably?) and not worry about it missing its usual ganache covering. Do you think it would change up the cake flavor too much? Granted, I do put a thin layer of ganache in the filling as well but I'm worrying about it missing something in the end. WWYD? TIA!

5 replies
Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 6

can you do 3 layers in the cake and put a good amount of ganache between. That would make it chocolatey enough I would think.

Or if you ice it in ganache and make it a thin layer then chill it well so there is no chance of the ganache coming off into the buttercream, then try as thin a layer butter cream as you can? can you do a small practice cake to see, how thick must the white buttercream be to hide the gananche?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

Why not use a very flavorful choco b'cream?  Can you make the design on choco?  Here is a great recipe:    ttp://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing      To make it choco, replace at least 1/2 cup (up to 2/3 cup) of the powdered sugar w/dark cocoa powder; cut the shortening to 1 cup and add1/4 cup instant coffee powder.

Increase the gananche filling a bit and use a thin coating on the cake there should not be a great difference in over all taste.  As the other poster said, be sure the gananche is well set before adding the b'cream. 

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 1:26am
post #4 of 6

Coffeelover, I do make 3 layers so I probably could add a little more ganache to up the chocolateyness. 

Kakeladi, that recipe sounds amazing! But she wants yellow to white ombre so chocolatey brown wouldn't work design wise

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 6

How about a dark chocolate fudge cake with coconut filling .  Could alternate coconut filling with ganache (or dark chocolate/fudge buttercream) if you are planning 3 or 4 layers, but I think the coconut flavor should be the star in an almond joy cake.   Add chunks of toasted almonds to the coconut filling.  Frost with coconut buttercream.  Add almond extract to the chocolate cake and chocolate filling (if using)  for a little extra almond flavor. My favorite coconut BC - SMBC with coconut extract paste and coconut rum.   For the coconut filling, add coconut to some of the coconut BC (you don't want coconut in the finishing buttercream) or make a coconut cream filling - lots of recipes online.  HTH!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 6

I understand that an Almond Joy candy bad/cake has coconut but I would dbl ck w/customer because I'm allergic to coconut and would never think to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%