Grass Tip Or Fondant Grass?

Decorating By Coffeelover77 Updated 3 Jun 2017 , 8:36pm by kakeladi

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 6

What do you think looks better- grass piped with a grass tip or a fondant cut grass border?  (so like a fondant "ribbon" around, with cuts all around it to make it grass shaped)

I mean for a bottom border on a cake. So say the cake is blue for sky, then the bottom of it is green/grass along the border. I'd post pics but this forum won't allow me to attach a picture in a thread!! so annoying.

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 6

Generally, I perfer a piped grass border but there are instances where I really like the fondant grass, like in a "forest" piece.  Fondant, to me, tends to look more like moss.

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 6

thank you @sandrasmiley I was thinking of a simple fondant border on the bottom like this -

https://cakejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_7490-edit.jpg

but then I feel like you say, a piped border would look better more like real 3d grass. The downside is with piped border, there is more chance of screwing it up lol. I've never piped with a grass tip, is it easy ?

I know I could also form grass from a million pieces of different size fondant grass bits but I'm not doing that :D

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, I see what you are saying!  I didn't understand.  The fondant border looks great, go for it!  Yes, piping grass is easy.  Just practice on a piece of wax paper a few minutes to get the hang of it.  If you have to do a lot, like fur on a teddy bear, it is very hard on the old hands! 

Jamie_L Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamie_L Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 6

Piping it with the grass tip would be faster and it will look more like real grass. If you mess up in a spot just take your spatula and scrap it off.  Then re-pipe it. If you are worried about delivering it just take the bag with you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2017 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 6

As Jamie said the piped grass looks more real to me.   And also, as she points out is very easy.  Of course, I've been a b'cream/piping gal most of my decorating days :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%