Selling At Farmers Market,anyone Done It?

Business By karenamr95 Updated 2 Jun 2017 , 3:34am by LilacFairy

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 23 May 2017 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 6

I am planning on selling at the public market near us, i already looked up qll the info and spoke to the people.

i am doing it after i am done with my home processor license.

just want to hear stories of people who done it.

Was it difficult? Did you make profit? Have regular customers?

5 replies
CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 23 May 2017 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 6

Im curious as well, I have a 30 year old bakery and we were looking into this as a way to push almost expired products and get our other stuff out there.  So just adding myself to the post 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 May 2017 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 6

It's important to check out the foot traffic before signing up. Every market is different. Some are busy and others are not worth your time.

Most customers are wonderful, but you'll get your share of personalities. A big smile and good customer service skills are necessary. 

Creating new customers is a benefit of selling at these markets. In my opinion, this is not the place to dispose of excess products if they are near the end of their shelf-life. 

CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 24 May 2017 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 6

I don't think that there is anything wrong with selling almost expired products in a market type setting at discounted prices.  I actually have a large clientele that comes in daily looking for day old items (typically older customers).  We mark them down in price and people know they are day old.  Where do you suggest disposing of day old items?  Hopefully not in the trash, that wouldn't make good business sense.

stampingchrisd_91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampingchrisd_91 Posted 30 May 2017 , 10:32am
post #5 of 6

I just started my cake business I October. Since I work out of a friends restaurant at night and don't have a store front I am doing the farmers markets to get my name out there. Its hit and miss right now but I have only been doing it for 4 weeks and the season here is just getting started. But every week I get inquiries about cakes. The problem I have is people get sticker shocked when the hear the prices. Most aren't used to it so I try to be very transparent in pricing and help educate and give options. It's been fun but a lot of work.

LilacFairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilacFairy Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 3:34am
post #6 of 6

Hi!

Me, my Mom, and Sister sold cake pops for a while at the farmer's market... And people LOVED them!  I'm not sure how well cakes would do, but cupcakes could definitely worth it!

God bless!

-Shelby

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%