Why Are My Cakes Dropping Last Minute?

Baking By Megan212 Updated 19 May 2017 , 11:05pm by Megan212

Megan212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan212 Posted 17 May 2017 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 9

I have been using the WASC recipe off here with success. But now my cakes have dropped the last 4 batches! I am doing white wedding cakes. For my liquid i was using coffee creamer or water. I then add 1 box of pudding. I have an oven thermometer and i bake them at 325.  I tried baking at 350 and adding 1 tsp of baking powder but they still dropped. I tried using milk it still dropped. They are fine until right before they are done the middle just sinks. Any idea what is wrong?? Ive wasted so much cake already. 

8 replies
Megan212 Posted 17 May 2017 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 9

Why Are My Cakes Dropping Last Minute?This is what they look like. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2017 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 9

Which WASC recipe are you using?   That looks to me like 1 of 2 possibilities:  too much liquid or forgotten eggs.   Are you adding the ingedients on the box along w/the extras?   Are you baking the cakes long enough........they should be browner/a bit darker than I'm see in the pic.  Are you possibily at a high altitude?  Without being right there to see what you have done it's really hard to say for sure.  And why are you adding a box of pudding? 

Megan212 Posted 18 May 2017 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 9

Here is recipe i am using. 

1 box white cake mix sifted  (ive used pillsbury, duncan hines, hyvee & best choice all successful. This time i was using pillsbury and duncan hines.  

1 cup 120g flour-sifted

3/4 c 150g sugar

1 box white chocolate pudding 

1/4 tsp. Salt

1 c 8oz sour cream

1 cup 8 oz. liquid ( i use water. Coffee creamer or milk)

4 egg whites 140g

i weigh my ingredients too! 

No forgoten ingredients, not going by box and i am not at a high altitude. Ive heard the pudding makes the cakes moister, but I don't always add it because im really not seeing any difference. They are done come out clean when tested and have started to pull from edges. They drop just a few minutes before they are finished. I was thinking to much moisture to and my next time I was going to reduce. Im just puzzled as to how this recipe has worked for me many times and all a sudden it dosnt. 

kakeladi Posted 18 May 2017 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 9

Well I just don't know........sorry.  That's no too much liquid nor eggs.  

Many yrs ago I had trouble w/cakes not turning out......don't remember now just what the problem was but I finally started talking to others so we all found out we were having (almost?) the same problems - ev entually we figured out/decuded it was the cake mix.........if I remember right they were old even though the use by date was not expired.  Called the mix company who of course denied any wrong doing but just after that the problems stopped. 

Megan212 Posted 19 May 2017 , 1:35am
post #6 of 9

Thats crazy. I find it odd that 2 different brands are doing it too.  I actually prefer the store brand cake mix because you get more in a box and they just seem to bake better and not have as much as the " cake mix" taste to me. Im hoping next week they go better for me for another wedding cake because I don't want to waste so much cake again! It hasn't been supper humid but has been a little bit,could that make a difference? I try to make sure everything is room temperature to but if sour cream or milk was to cold could that be the problem if ingredients didn't bind? 

Lindasicings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindasicings Posted 19 May 2017 , 2:00am
post #7 of 9

I use a similar recipe and have had problems if I do not bake long enough.  Also, I try not to open the oven till I am sure they are done.

kakeladi Posted 19 May 2017 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 9

I've really never been much of a believer that milk or sc could be 'too cold'.  The few times I have ever had to use either straight from the frig it didn't seem to make any difference.   I've beginning to wonder if you just are not baking them enough?  Just a wild guess :)

Megan212 Posted 19 May 2017 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 9

But they are rising then dropping in the oven before they are even done. I don't open the oven either. Trust me they are done by the time I take them out. Just keeping my fingers crossed they work next week. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%