Williams Sonoma Train Pan

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 15 Feb 2007 , 10:25pm by mlrojas

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 12:18am
post #1 of 14

I don't know who if any of you have or have seen the Williams Sonoma train pan, but it is soooooo cute.. at any rate, a child in my daughter's mom's day out progam's mother has asked me to do a train cake for him on Monday.. she told me she already had this pan and was wondering how much I would charge.. I was like hmmmmmm.... free WS pan that normally sells for 34.99... or charge for a cake (illegally mind you in AL)... needless to say I am making the cake and my payment is the train pan.. it is sooooo cute...

my dilema, my son is coming ANY DAY NOW... who knows, but I didn't want to say no just in case... have any of you ever frozen little cakes? The train pan is 9 cavities, much like cupcakes....

I am trying to decide if I should bake and freeze or bake, ice and freeze. I NEVER do the freeze method because I worry about the freshness factor... but it being a group of 4 year olds, I am thinking they won't panic... any suggestions because I really would like to keep this pan!

13 replies
SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 12:31am
post #2 of 14

I have the pan but haven't used it yet. My son got it for me for Christmas. Can't help you on the charge part sorry. It is a very cute pan! Bump

Joanne usaribbon.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:35am
post #3 of 14

not charging for it... even trade for the cake pan icon_smile.gif since she would never use it again.. I guess in that long ramble, I was trying to figure out of freezing them were an option.. and if so do I freeze them iced or uniced... thinking that just in case my son comes this weekend, they will be finished!

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 3:10am
post #4 of 14

I saw the pan and it is adorable, but passed. A friend got it as a gifta nd offered if I ever needed it, I could borrow it. Told her to go exchange it, but it was from her mil so she will look for the pan!

Anyhow, I think I would maybe freeze the unfrosted cake. Then pull it out, let it totally defrost and then frost it with icing.

Make sure you take a pict and post!

And congrats on your new son!

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 3:25am
post #5 of 14

I have the pan and made the recipe that came with the pan. Don't make that recipe. I didn't like the taste. I would just make your regular cake batter and once baked and cooled, wrap each car individually with saran wrap and again with some press and seal. Then place in a ziplock freezer bag. I did that and they were awesome!!!! Just take them out of the freezer and let them thaw all wrapped.

They will be just fine.

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 14

SouthernBelle, I'm glad you posted about the recipe with the pan. I wondered about it.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 14

Yeah I heard the same thing about their recipe and they use it in the store as a tester.. so I was like NO..... thanks for all of the input on the ideas.... and thanks for the congrats about my baby boy... I am sure he is going to surprise us all.. If I can get through V-day orders and one shower order (and I mean huge baby shower-3 cakes) then I should smooth sailing until mid march and april... I will post, I promise. I am also thinking of doing a single locomotive from that pan for a 1 year olds smasher as his mom wants thomas the train for the party!

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 14

I also got the pan as a Christmas gift. I'd love to see an iced version of it so please post pics. The only decorated version I have seen is the picture that came on the pan and it only uses candies for decoration - no icing. Also glad to know there recipe isn't good. I was thinking of using pound cake?

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:03am
post #9 of 14

I think the pound cake would work well with the pan. I have a picture of the one I did in my photos. Pans with all that detail lose something if you ice them totally.

I love the pan and also ordered the ice-cream cone pan but haven't used that one yet. Good luck with you cake and let me know how it turns out.

psupatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psupatty Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:09am
post #10 of 14

I have the pan and made some egg-free cakes for my son's birthday party on Jan. 27th. I used the recipe that came with the pan and used egg substitute. None of the kids liked the cake -- they licked off all the icing and ate the candy out of the hopper car wells.

I'll post the pictures I took of the cakes.

psupatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psupatty Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:17am
post #11 of 14

Here's my batch of train cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_194883.html

It was tough to come up with a way to ice the cakes without losing the detail of the pan. They sprinkle powdered sugar on the cakes in the picture on the front. I had assorted candies that I used to fill the hopper cars and top the tank car tanks.

Even though the kids didn't like the cake, most of the adults thought it tasted fine.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:19am
post #12 of 14

I got the pan for xmas also, but haven't used it. however, my wilton teacher made one and did the decorations only as accents on the cake and it looked fantastic. so yeah. and i imagine you could freeze the individual cars the way you can freeze any other cake.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:49am
post #13 of 14

How funny, I got the pan for Christmas too but have not had a reason to use it yet. I can't imagine frosting it any other way than using a star tip.

I can't wait to see someone post their pics of it!!!

Amy

mlrojas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrojas Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:25pm
post #14 of 14

I have made this cake before and I don't see why you couldn't freeze them. I have froze mini cakes before without any trouble. What you might do is freeze them, then tightly wrap them in pastic wrap to keep little icicles from forming. I wouldn't worry about the taste, I never have a problem with frozen cakes tasting bad.

Also, I agree about the recipe that comes with the pan. It's way too sugary and sticky, your details will not be as sharp. My daughter actually decorated the last one with candies and simple piping, it was adorable.

Choo-choo!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%