Magic Line 3" Baking Issues

Baking By Caseystar Updated 18 Apr 2017 , 7:10pm by Jackie

Caseystar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caseystar Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 6

I am a novice to cake making. I read lots of reviews and decided upon trying the Magic Line 3" pans. But I am having an issue where the top half of the cake is cooking faster than the bottom. The cake doesn't get much color on the bottom if I do about a 2" cake, but I can deal with that. If I try to do a 3" cake then it doesn't cook up very well so I end up overcooking the top half of the cake just to get the bottom to cook at all. I can't return the pan, but was told by the seller to try using baking strips. So I want to know has anyone ever run into this issue and what worked for you? Or should I just cut my losses and buy 2" pans instead? 

5 replies
Caseystar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caseystar Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 6

I can't edit, but I wanted to note that I am using a 10" x 3" pan.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 6

I gave away all my 3" pans.  I don't like how they bake.  It's better to make 2, 2" layers .

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 6

I moved to Fat Daddio's pans a few years and have never looked back. I absolutely love them.  I have 2 inch and 3 inch deep.  

Even though the 3 inch work well, I found I like collaring my 2 inch pans then use a flower nail or heating core for the center.  I get really consistent results every time.

On your magic line pans, you can try adding some Wilton Bake Even Strips , then lower your oven tempurature and add additional baking time.  For example, a 10 x 3 inch cake pan, bake at 325F for 65-75 minutes and use a heating core.

Best of luck, let us know what ended up working for you!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 6

Interesting.  I despise FD pans with every fiber of my being.  

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 18 Apr 2017 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 6

@leah_s ‍ Interesting!  What has been your experience with FD pans?  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%