What Scales And Containers To Use For Weighing Dry Ingredients

Baking By Jennykensington Updated 11 Apr 2017 , 12:30am by shellybbear

Jennykensington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennykensington Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 6

I've just started weighing my dry ingredients FINALLY.  Such a difference.  So much easier and more precise results!  The only thing I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out is what scales / containers to use for weighing.  I have several small (as in portion control) digital scales and all of them register enough ounces for the amounts of flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar and 10X sugar I need to use, but when I use an aluminum bowl on them, I have trouble seeing the numbers and it slips off periodically and I have to start all over.  Do you generally use bigger scales and if so, what kinds?  And what containers do you use?  It seems like a tall flexible silicon one would work best both for weighing and then for adding to the batter in a 20 qt. Hobart mixer (so not much is spilled) but I'm not finding anything like that online. There must be some sort of standard thing that bakers use for this right?  Thanks so much for any help.  This is my first posting!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 6

i like to use coffee filters -- but i'm small potatoes these days -- although they do make very large ones -- what about finding a plastic lid you can cut to size and place the filters on? you could also use parchment -- folded up around the edges to make a box shape kwim -- then use the lid to navigate the product to the mixer -- also just cut out a hole or a "v" shape cut in the lid so you can see the display -- just find any old lid to sacrifice for the cause :) i have a ton you could use blush

i actually used to use the weighted scales -- so much fun!! i have a digital scale but i just measure mostly anyway -- works for me :)

-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 6

but you just pick up the parchment by all four corners like a big funnel and pour the contents into the mixer kwim --

lotsa ways to do this 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 10 Apr 2017 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 6

What Scales And Containers To Use For Weighing Dry Ingredients

I only have a 7 qt mixer so my volumes are not nearly as large, but I just use a table top battery operated (they last a long time) Salter scale.  Probably around $50. Had it for years. I just grab whatever  size container is appropriate - usually a Tupperware or plastic bowl, zero it out and weigh.  This one goes up to 11 pounds and converts to grams easily.  If the bowl is really big I have to peek under a bit, but never a problem. But weighing is definitely the "weigh" to go!!

shellybbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellybbear Posted 11 Apr 2017 , 12:29am
post #6 of 6

I actually use this one that I purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond.  It weighs up to 5 pounds and has a pull out display, so that when my mixer bowl or something large is on it, I can pull out the display and still be able to see it.   They also have a similar model that is weighs up to 11 pounds, but it is more expensive.  https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oxo-good-grips-reg-5-pound-food-scale-with-pull-out-display/1017290339?Keyword=kitchen+scaleWhat Scales And Containers To Use For Weighing Dry Ingredients

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%