Too Much Leavening? Or Over-Mixed?

Baking By peilinl Updated 14 Mar 2017 , 3:00pm by Jeff_Arnett

peilinl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peilinl Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 8:59am
post #1 of 6

This is a picture of the chocolate cake I have made, after slicing and freezing. You will notice that there are a lot of air holes in the layers.

Too Much Leavening? Or Over-Mixed?

Is it a case of too much leavening? I mixed the batter with a hand whisk and i stop mixing when both dry and wet ingredients are fully mixed.

This is the recipe I use for 3 layers of 6" cake. 200 grams batter per layer. I use to bake it layer by layer in 3 separate pans but I found that baking 2 layers (400 grams batter) in one pan gives the cake more rise before it domes. I then torte it into 2 layers.

104 grams All Purpose Flour
38 grams Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
0.5 teaspoon Salt
150 grams Caster Sugar
1 large Egg
1 large Egg Yolk
50ml Vegetable Oil
87ml Hot Coffee
93ml Buttermilk

I use a ratio of 9:1 whole milk:vinegar to make buttermilk. I mix all the dry ingredients together after sifting the flour, cocoa powder and leavening agents. Then add all the wet ingredients except hot coffee, whisk to mix egg in then add hot coffee last (to avoid cooking the eggs if I add them all together).

When baking 2 layers in a pan, the air bubbles in the bottom later (after slicing) are smaller than the ones on the upper layer. When baking 1 layer at a time, the cake domes way too fast, usable cake layer is very short in height and air bubbles are huge.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 6

Too much baking soda, I guess too much baking powder, depending on how you look at it.  Baking powder plus baking soda generally are not the same amount when using both together.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

A lot of tunneling can be a sign of a too hot oven as well.

peilinl Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 1:26am
post #4 of 6

Hi Leah! Thanks! How much should I be using for both baking soda and baking powder?

Quote by @leah_s on 9 hours ago

Too much baking soda, I guess too much baking powder, depending on how you look at it.  Baking powder plus baking soda generally are not the same amount when using both together.

peilinl Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 1:26am
post #5 of 6

The oven thermometer reads 150C in a convection oven. Should it be further reduced?

Quote by @Jeff_Arnett on 8 hours ago

A lot of tunneling can be a sign of a too hot oven as well.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 6

1.8 (150 C) + 32 = 302 F

If that's an accurate reading, that shouldn't be too hot for baking.

With that in check, you might look to the leavening, but usually an over-leavened cake will collapse in the center somewhat near the end of baking because the structure is weakened.

Is this a one time occurrence with this recipe, or is it consistently happening?  If so, maybe you might want to look at another recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%