Sugar Glass Help!

Decorating By Jessicasue2006 Updated 4 Mar 2017 , 4:51pm by -K8memphis

Jessicasue2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicasue2006 Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 5

I made an aquarium cake that is sceduled to pick up the evening before the party. It's a 2" tall sheet cake with sugar glass walls surrounding it. Pretty cool, until I left it out overnight and the glass warped on me. Ideally I would have the client pick up the morning of, but I'm not sure that will work with her schedule.  Does anyone know if I can keep it in the fridge overnight?  How would the glass do?  Would it stay clear and keep from warping?  I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, but I love to try new things so I gave it a go.

please help. 

4 replies
LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 5

I would think that the humidity in the fridge would just melt the sugar.  Or the condensation from when you remove it.  Best to keep it somewhere dry and cool.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 5

It sounds like the sugar wasn't cooked to hard crack stage as it should not warp if it was.

Putting it in the fridge would be a bad idea as with any kind of toffee, if they go in the fridge they do not come out very well.

Does it have to be sugar - could you use gelatin instead to make the 'glass'? If you do use gelatin then go with the sheets as they are clearer than the powder.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 5

sugar is very tempermental -- when it comes to something like this i would only boil sugar and serve same day --

if you need some shelf life you needs to switch to isomalt or venuance pearls which hold ever so much better -- but putting the product against the icing is a new variation for me -- don't know how that would work  -- i kept all mine separate -- 

however, the isomalt/venuance is bad on the tummy if too much is ingested and it doesn't take much to get to too much and it's not fun at all -- also who wants to deliver a cake and say don't eat too much or you'll be locked in the bathroom all day --

i'd go with bubs1st idea to use gelatin -- 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 5

me, i would create a different illusion -- i would use the cake as the stand for the aquarium, and put up a frame rising above the cake to denote where the fishies and castles and the water would be inside that perimeter and suspend things to align up with invisible sides -- just as if it were an aquarium without glass -- 

boiled sugar is cool but high maintenance -- isomalt & venuance is better but hazardous to your health -- it's just not worth the trouble for me -- and until you've had a blister bubble & burn from hot sugar you have not been properly initiated and i hope you never do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%