Vanilla Bean

Baking By inthekitchen2 Updated 13 Mar 2017 , 7:28am by peilinl

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 22

I have a customer who wants a "vanilla bean" flavored cake. I've never used vanilla beans before, just thought they probably weren't worth the expense. But, since she is asking directly, can you give me some tips? Just scrape the bean in the batter? How much is equivalent to vanilla extract? I am pretty sure she asked for "vanilla bean" frosting before, and I just used vanilla extract like usual, and she was happy with it, but since it's in the cake this time, maybe she wants to see the flecks?

21 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 22

inthekitchen2 

I don't know where you are located. But you can buy Lorann's vanilla bean flavouring which is full of real vanilla bean. Buying a bottle, even without a coupon, it's cheaper than buying real vanilla bean. Just a suggestion.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 22

I use vanilla bean paste and just sub equal amounts for the extract.

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 22

Another vote for the vanilla bean paste...love that stuff!

inthekitchen2 Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 22

I never knew there were other options. Where would I buy the paste? Does it have the black flecks in it?

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 22

Yes, it does have the flecks in it. Here it is on Amazon, but I can find it cheaper locally (at Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma) https://www.amazon.com/Nielsen-Massey-Madagascar-Bourbon-Vanilla/dp/B003L259AU?th=1

inthekitchen2 Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 22

Awesome! Thank you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 22

depends on where you look -- i've read that one inch of scraped vanilla bean equals a teaspoon and i've read that two inches equals a teaspoon -- not very exact --

but dang the price of vanilla extract is up ten bucks over usual -- agghghghghg -- musta hada bad orchid crop -- maybe some bad weather in madagascar -- it's grown elsewhere too -- but in the past what happens in madagascar permeates the world price of vanilla --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 22

I just saw Wal Mart has vanilla paste - at least in my area.   It was in with the cake supplies - not the spice/grocery area.  You might try looking there.   It was like $8 for a small bottle - maybe 4 oz. 

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 22

i keep getting caught in a captcha gotcha and it won't let me post even though i check all the boxes -- wah wah

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 22

i think it's because i had to copy my post from earlier because it would not go through -- now when i try to paste it in it goes to a captcha that errors out -- i'll try it again...

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 22

I buy vanilla beans off the internet at beanilla.com or vanillaproducts.com and make my own vanilla.  I've made various types - Mexican, madagascar, tongan and bourbon - and I've purchased the paste from vanillafromtahiti.com.  Don't remember the price and it's been awhile since I've purchased from them because what I bought made a lot of vanilla extract.  I've given some to my family members as stocking stuffers at Christmas and I still have quite a few bottles.  Right now I'm also trying homemade lemon extract.  I got the recipe on line some where and thought I'd give it a go as well.  My homemade extract has the black specks in it.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 22

gerle --- so cool -- i made vanilla products for kids for christmas -- and i made limoncello but i hated it -- i'm not really a drinker but the kids et al liked it (?)

but it's fun to 'make groceries' like this -- does make a nice thoughtful gift -- i thought about doing eggnog last year but that didn't happen -- i would gain weight from it -- bad move ha!

i like to do fruit heavy items -- like chocolate covered strawberrries, mini apple pies, etc.

anyway ~~

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 22

I always use vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla. Unless I need fake-clear vanilla for white buttercream.  If you just want to try it look for a small bottle in home goods/marshalls/tjmaxx  But I get a large one thru Amazon and its reasonably priced.  I use it as an equal swap for regular vanilla.  Does it taste better because you can see the flecks?  I go with YES lol!

Theresa

Gerle Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 22

K8memphis...I've made lemoncello, but didn't taste it because I also don't drink and it didn't appeal to me.  My kids loved it, however.  I think what got me to make it first off was because I had an abundance of lemons on our tree that year and was trying to find ways to use the lemons and not just have them fall on the ground and rot.  Happened again this year, so now I'm trying preserved lemons and see how that works out.  I've got a freezer full of juice and zest, so don't need any of that!

inthekitchen2 Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 2:55am
post #16 of 22

Thanks for all of the replies, I am learning a lot and can't wait to try it!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 4:31am
post #17 of 22

gerle -- how do you store your lemon zest

thank you

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 5:08am
post #18 of 22

There've been blind taste tests comparing baked products made with premium Nielsen-Massey vs mid grade real vanilla, vs artificial.  The results don't really seem to justify the expense for the premium unless you're making something like vanilla custard or other products where the vanilla doesn't get hot.  Especially with cookies, it seems, artificial vanilla flavor might even come out ahead. 

In buttercream, I think premium butter (like Land o'lakes premium) might be more helpful than expensive vanilla. 

With ice cream, some brands have both vanilla and vanilla bean, and I've noticed that the vanilla bean tends to have a more pronounced vanilla flavor, but I don't think it's because of the specks.  I think it's that way by design.  The manufacturer thinks that people opting for vanilla bean are looking for "extra" vanilla flavor.  

Gerle Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 22

K8memphis, I take the lemon zest, measure it into 1 tablespoon portions, and wrap it really tight in some plastic wrap, then I take all the little wrapped portions and put them in a ziploc bag, which gets double bagged actually.  So far I have had no problem whatsoever with the zest  turning brown or losing it's color, and it maintains it's lemon flavor.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 8:10pm
post #20 of 22

thank you gerle -- good/great to know! 

i'll get oranges to eat or lemons to juice and i feel bad about not harvesting the zest -- now i have a good way to save it -- thank you so much!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 9:20pm
post #21 of 22

That's how I would do my zest.  I just pick 8 lemons that are the size of small grapefruits and plan to do just that the juice them and fz it too :)

peilinl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peilinl Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 7:28am
post #22 of 22

I used to buy the huge bottle of Nielsen-Massey vanilla paste. When I need to restock sometime late last year or early this year, the price has doubled. I'm thinking bad harvest too!

Quote by @-K8memphis on 4 Mar 2017 , 9:18am

depends on where you look -- i've read that one inch of scraped vanilla bean equals a teaspoon and i've read that two inches equals a teaspoon -- not very exact --

but dang the price of vanilla extract is up ten bucks over usual -- agghghghghg -- musta hada bad orchid crop -- maybe some bad weather in madagascar -- it's grown elsewhere too -- but in the past what happens in madagascar permeates the world price of vanilla --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%