Best Way To Get Shiny Gold On Fondant?

Decorating By Thewhiteapron Updated 13 Mar 2017 , 8:08pm by Thewhiteapron

Thewhiteapron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thewhiteapron Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 12

One of my orders for this season is to do a cake like this one. I have used luster dust previously, mixing with alcohol, but only recently learned that it is meant to just be for decor and not for consumption. Yikes!  What can I use to get the look of the gold below, and any tips on how to do it to get this look?

Best Way To Get Shiny Gold On Fondant?

11 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Feb 2017 , 12:50am
post #2 of 12

You can find edible, FDA approved gold luster dust at many suppliers online.  It will be described as edible and have an ingredients list.  There is also an edible product called Poppy Paint.  They make a gold that can be painted on.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Feb 2017 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 12

Mix gold dust with alcohol like Vodka.  Make small quantities at a time as the Vodka evaporates very quickly so paint fast smirk

BeeBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBakes Posted 28 Feb 2017 , 3:14am
post #4 of 12

have you looked into Rolkem Gold?, also like kakeladi said, mix with vodka 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Feb 2017 , 3:57am
post #5 of 12

Rolkem gold has not been approved as edible, though. 

maybenot Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 2:38am
post #6 of 12

Quote by @ypierce82 on 22 hours ago

Rolkem gold has not been approved as edible, though. 

Yes, in the US, Rolkem metallics are not certified as edible, as they contain real metals.  That's why if searching online, it's important to search for FDA certified/approved along with edible.

Thanks for pointing this out, as many sellers of Rolkem--US & internationally--do not disclose this fact to buyers, and it is the person who applies it to food who is liable for the misuse of the product.

Thewhiteapron Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 6:01am
post #7 of 12

yes, thank you for the above notes.  This is what I knew was the case, with many gold dusts in fact not being edible.  Does anyone know of a product that is in fact edible, where I can get this type of gold coverage?  I have painted gold using vodka before on accent pieces, but this is for an edible cake detail. 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 1 Mar 2017 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 12

An article by Liz Marek regarding edible metallics.

http://artisancakecompany.com/2014/11/the-best-edible-metallic-food-colors/

maybenot Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 3:12am
post #9 of 12

Quote by @640Cake on 10 hours ago

An article by Liz Marek regarding edible metallics.

http://artisancakecompany.com/2014/11/the-best-edible-metallic-food-colors/

Sorry, but this article is old and much of the info is inaccurate.  As a matter of fact, it may have been one of the original articles that proposed many powders as "edible/FDA approved" which ARE NOT--Rolkem included [there is no "FDA" in Australia. They have their own food safety organization].  The only product on her list that is, indeed, FDA approved & edible, are those made by Roxy & Rich.

Roxy & Rich is a Canadian company that uses FDA approved ingredients for their hybrid dusts.  In doing so, they can then sell the products in the US.  They'd be a great source for a nice, edible gold that you're looking for.

If a product is not made with FDA certified ingredients--and the product sourced from the UK & SOUTH AFRICA [Rolkem] ARE NOT--then the product is highly unlikely to be approved for use in the US.  And, it goes both ways.  There are many US approved products that don't pass muster across the pond.

You can find other edible, FDA approved golds at globalsugarart.com, pristinepowders.com, roxyandrich.com, fondantsource.com

Thewhiteapron Posted 2 Mar 2017 , 5:19am
post #10 of 12

THANK YOU, magybenot. This is exactly the info I was searching for. I am actually in Canada, so this bodes even better for me that roxyandrich.com is Canadian.  I will order a couple of them and test it out, but it certainly looks like it would give a nice metallic sheen when painted on, and still being edible at the same time. Who would have thought that would be so hard to make happen!

maybenot Posted 3 Mar 2017 , 2:25am
post #11 of 12

+1Happy to help.

We'd love to see pics of the finished product

Thewhiteapron Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 12

will do!  It isn't until mid-June though.  Just planning ahead for some of my orders. I really should take some time to upload photos to this site!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%