Fruit Filled Fondant Covered Cakes--Timeline For Making And Storing?!

Decorating By satindoll_101 Updated 16 Mar 2017 , 8:35pm by leah_s

satindoll_101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satindoll_101 Posted 21 Feb 2017 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I've seen this question asked before on cake forums but need to clarify something so I don't botch this up! I am making a fresh fruit filling for my cake. For example, strawberries mixed with water, sugar and cornstarch in a pan on the stove.

When filling the cake, I will be doing a buttercream dam around the edge, then spreading a think layer of buttercream directly on the cake layer before I put my fruit filling, stacking another cake layer on top of the fruit filling and so on. So.. it's fresh fruit but in a jam consistency I guess.

How much in advance can I put my cake together? The event is Sunday afternoon and I was planning to fill and stack the cake with the fruit filling and buttercream on Saturday morning, chill in fridge. While chilling, roll out my fondant and cover cake soon after my fondant is ready (so Saturday afternoon). I don't want to leave the fondant to the last minute or day of, as I have have some more decorations to do on the fondant (diamond pattern with beading)...

Can I leave the completed fondant cake at room temp from Saturday evening to Sunday afternoon? ( I live in Canada so it's cool here still at this time of year.)  OR, should I put the fondant covered cake in a box, wrap tightly in a plastic bag and store in the fridge until I drive over to deliver it? (Never done this before but I heard it's a good way to store fondant in frdige without having moisture effect the fondant.)

Thoughts / tips from your experience doing fruit filled fondant covered cakes would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

6 replies
satindoll_101 Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 7

anyone?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry, I'm not up on refrigeration of *cooked* fruit filling.   It has always been my understanding that once it's cooked you have much more time unrefrig'd than if 'raw' but really not sure.

you said........The event is Sunday afternoon and I was planning to fill and stack the cake with the fruit filling and buttercream on Saturday morning, chill in fridge.....roll out my fondant and cover cake soon after my fondant is ready (so Saturday afternoon)....  and:  leave the completed fondant cake at room temp from Saturday evening to Sunday afternoon? OR ...put the fondant covered cake in a box, wrap tightly in a plastic bag and store in the fridge until I drive over to deliver it?        This sounds like a good plan to me.  I'm thinking refrig rather than room temp

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Feb 2017 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7

i agree fruit filling needs to be fridged

satindoll_101 Posted 24 Feb 2017 , 3:40am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the input!

When I mean cooked, I just mean that it will be like a pie filling (fully cooked) or even a topping you could use on a cheesecake for instance, but I will be using it as a cake filling...as opposed to just fresh fruit.

I think refrigerating is a safe bet too with fruit anything!

Muntic0re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muntic0re Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 11:21am
post #6 of 7

I suggest to put in into some jars or plastic containers. And better on the upper shelves of the fridge. It can be stored about 2-4 days. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 7

Even commercial jam/jelly labels read "Refrigerate after opening."  The filling you're making is not shelf stable.  I agree it should go in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%