Where To Keep Wedding Cake Until Venue?

Decorating By doctorwhobaker Updated 15 Feb 2017 , 10:05pm by -K8memphis

doctorwhobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doctorwhobaker Posted 13 Feb 2017 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 8

Good morning!

I am making my second wedding cake next week and am planning on baking the cakes next Tuesday and then freezing them.  I will frosting and fill the cakes on that Friday.  However, I don't have to have the wedding cake at the venue till 6:30 on Saturday.  Its going to be a naked cake and I heard that storing cake in the fridge (especially naked cakes) dries them out.  The last thing I want is this cake to be dry!! So should I wait to ice and fill till the day of the wedding and then only store it in the fridge for a couple of house?  Or should I put the finished cake on Friday back into the freezer and then let it defrost in the fridge all day Saturday?

7 replies
doctorwhobaker Posted 13 Feb 2017 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 8

Or should I wrap it tightly I saran wrap on Friday, put back into the freezer and then leave it out to defrost all day Saturday bit still wrapped in saran wrap?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2017 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 8

If it is totally naked, then yes, it needs to be covered - not tightly but not loosely either.  Maybe use a lg plastic bag to cover it.  If you have room to pop it back into the fzr after it is assembled/finished I suggest that. 

doctorwhobaker Posted 14 Feb 2017 , 3:53am
post #4 of 8

Its actually slightly naked, mostly naked I guess haha.  Okay so after I'm done assembling it on Friday, I should cover it, pop it back into the freezer.  Then Saturday put it in the fridge to defrost, still wrapped? Or should I leave it on the counter to defrost, still wrapped?

kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2017 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 8

You can do either.......into the fridge or on the counter. If you put it on the counter it can be unwrapped,  Just don't touch it at all until any sweat that might develop has completely disapated.  Don't even be tempted! :)

doctorwhobaker Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 3:04am
post #6 of 8

What will happen if I mess with it while its sweating??

kakeladi Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 8

It leaves a smear and/or dull spot that if you try to smooth out just makes a much bigger mess ;(

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 8

you will have less sweating if you just fridge it after final assembling and don't put it in the freezer -- there's less temperature to adjust kwim --

so friday put it back into the fridge

and i just deliver mine cold sealed in a box -- it gives you that invaluable invisible cohesiveness --- use it!

blush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%