How To Assemble A Wedding Cake

Decorating By mrmajeika Updated 11 Feb 2017 , 6:34pm by Jeff_Arnett

mrmajeika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrmajeika Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 2

Making a family wedding cake and it's my first time attempting a tiered cake. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers or if there are any good instructional videos out there

I have a couple of questions. I have bought dowling rods as I understand these are needed for support. Is there anything else that needs to be put inbetween the tiers such as cardboard discs? I will be covering the cakes in chocolate ganache as I will be putting chocolate cigarillos round the outside. If I put the second tier on top of the bottom tier that is covered in ganache will it just not all stick and pull the ganache off when I come to cut the cake? My idea was to remove the top two tiers and cut up the whole bottom tier as that will be enough for guests? Is that the right way to do it?

1 reply
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Feb 2017 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 2

Making your first wedding cake can be both thrilling and challenging!

Yes, you will need a support board between each tier...different ppl use different things...some use cardboard, some wooden board...I use foamcore boards.

Here's a link to a great basic wedding cake construction video from Chef Alan Tetreault of Global Sugar Art.  

He's working with a fondant covered cake, but he technique is pretty much the same for buttercream or ganache covered cakes as well.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%