Help!!! How Much Should I Charge For Cake...

Business By cupcakegirl93 Updated 7 Feb 2017 , 8:34pm by ypierce82

cupcakegirl93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl93 Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 4:33am
post #1 of 5

Help!!! How Much Should I Charge For Cake...Help!!! How Much Should I Charge For Cake...Help!!! How Much Should I Charge For Cake...Help!!! How Much Should I Charge For Cake... so i am having a hard time with pricing cakes... so i thought i'd post these cakes to see  people's responses about  it..... 

4 replies
Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 4:46am
post #2 of 5

Is the cake on bottom picture yours?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 5:59am
post #3 of 5

Yes, have you already made a cake and given it to someone?

If you're asking for advice on pricing you probably aren't ready to be taking orders.  

Aside from the legality, you need to have tested recipes, consistency so you can begin pricing ingredients, boards, boxes, etc.  Then your electricity, water, overhead-even if you work from home.  An hourly fee, based on your skill level-as well as having competitive pricing with other Custom Cake shops in your area.   

I certainly don't mean any of this to sound rude or mean! Unfortunately, there's much more business than most people realize.  You would be wise to speak with a lawyer about insurance, have him/her go over your contract...these are things that help protect your business and your customers. 

This is just a very, very basic idea of things to consider as well as things that will figure into your costs.

Good Luck

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 5

If these are examples of *your* work I must say you are very skilled:)  Very neat work. 

As the other poster said, there is soooo much that goes into pricing it makes it hard for us to tell you a price for any of them.   Back when I was selling (1980-2000) it was rather easy....prices were usually based on a 'industry standard' for a certain # of servings.  Most of us didn't know about figuring out every little thing to incorporate into pricing and probably priced much too low for our own good :)   Nowadays prices widely vary from area to area.  Are you in rural, town or big city?  What is the going rate in your area that others are charging for each type of icing?  (Example: fondant $7; b'cream $5 etc)  Do you have compitition - other home bakers?  Are you licensed/legal?  These are just a few of the things you must consider.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 5

The first and 3rd cakes have different names attached, so I am going to assume they aren't your cakes. So it is difficult to give a price on something you didn't make. Your ingredients, labor, costs, etc are different from every person who will respond. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%