Hand Painted Cake Costing

Business By Lizarose9 Updated 2 Feb 2017 , 2:08pm by MimiFix

Lizarose9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizarose9 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone,

i was hoping for some advice on what to charge for a hand painted cake.  Basically I take customer's photographs and paint them onto a cake with icing  and (gloved) fingers.  It comes out looking somewhat impressionist in the colors and style.  its a new skill I'm working on, but I'd like to go live with it at work, I just don't know what to charge or how to properly cost it.  Do I charge per hour, have a set fee, or  a range of fees depending on how complicated the picture is?  And if so what is a reasonable amount to ask?  I don't anticipate doing wedding cakes or tiered cakes in this style.  But I do live and work in a large city and there is the potential for high end customers willing to pay more for something unique.  The next question is: do you think this is even something that people would want?  

thanks for your help.  I've attached a photo and included a link to the time lapse video of it being painted.  

[postimage id="6314" thumb="900"]

Video:  

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 10

What size is that cake and how long did it take you to finish?  That is going to effect the pricing.

Lizarose9 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 10

The cake pictured is 10" round and it took about 1.5 hours to ice.  Thanks for your help 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 3:39am
post #4 of 10

Set an hourly rate and charge for these cakes based on product cost and your time. Don't be afraid to set your rate in accordance with your exceptional talent.

Lizarose9 Posted 31 Jan 2017 , 11:12am
post #5 of 10

I guess that's the problem I'm having. I am new to running the business end and don't know what a reasonable hourly rate is.  What do the rest of you charge / hour roughly?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 8:50am
post #6 of 10

What do you charge for a standard 10 inch now? Might be a good starting point. My base 10 inch Start at $120. So if this was my work I'd charge minimum $200 since it is a unique talent in caKing. 

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 11:45am
post #7 of 10

It's an awesome technique! I want to watch more videos

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 10

$20.00-30.00  per hour of painting on cake in addition to price of cake itself.

Lizarose9 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for all the input!  I agree that's somewhere in the $20-30 range seems reasonable to me.  I really appreciate the help.  Here is another's video, if you want to see a more complicated one.  This one took about 4 hours or so. 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 10

Stunning! You have a unique talent, a real specialty. Target the upper end and charge at least $30 per hour. It may take time for your business to prosper, but wait for that to happen. Don't let people talk you down in price. And don't give too much info, such as your hourly rate; that opens the door to their wanting to negotiate. All they need is a final price. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%