Savory Pie Filling Ideas

Baking By Siftandwisk2 Updated 30 Jan 2017 , 4:35am by JustOneMoreCake

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 12:00am
post #1 of 27

I belong to an artisan bread baking club.  The group is convening a 2017 baking plan meeting.  While it's a bread group, other baked goods from savory to sweet are made.  We've been asked to bring suggestions for baking events.  I'm a bit dessert-centered, so sweet ideas are easy for me.  Savory, not so much.

I'd like to led a savory pie workshop.  I make a very good pie crust.  And my gluten free pie crust is so good no one believes me when I tell them it's gluten free.  But I'm at a loss for savory fillings.  I normally just make two types of savory pies: 4" chicken pot pie and a roasted root vegetable hand pie. 

Any ideas for savory pie fillings would be appreciated.  

26 replies
JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 4:21am
post #2 of 27

If you expand pie to include galettes and similar, how about onions?  You can do a riff on a pissaldiere.  Or ratatouille?

Siftandwisk2 Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 27

Justonemorecake,

I had to google pissaldiere since I had never heard of it.   It's perfect.  Perfect on several levels: you can make it with yeasted dough; laminated dough; or go rouge and bake it on pie dough.  Thank you so very much!  Our planning meeting is a pitluck--guess what I'm baking and bringing:)

Quote by @JustOneMoreCake on 13 hours ago

If you expand pie to include galettes and similar, how about onions?  You can do a riff on a pissaldiere.  Or ratatouille?

JustOneMoreCake Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 27

Awesome!  :-)

angie2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angie2016 Posted 23 Jan 2017 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 27

Using a quiche filling: eggs, cream milk and herbs and spices

You can add any of the following to mak a delicious filling:

1. Spinach
  2. Onions
  3. Celery
  4. Carrots
  5. Shrimp
  6. Crab
  7. Chicken
  8. Ham
  9. Sausage

Hope this helps.

Chef Angie

Siftandwisk2 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 12:30am
post #6 of 27

Now I'm really hungry!  coincidentally,  I just came home from the kitchen supply store.  On a whim I bought paperback mini tartlet pans thinking, "hey maybe I should bake some kind of mini tartlets."  

Quote by @angie2016 on 7 hours ago

Using a quiche filling: eggs, cream milk and herbs and spices

You can add any of the following to mak a delicious filling:

1. Spinach
  2. Onions
  3. Celery
  4. Carrots
  5. Shrimp
  6. Crab
  7. Chicken
  8. Ham
  9. Sausage

Hope this helps.

Chef Angie

JustOneMoreCake Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 1:14am
post #7 of 27

Oh man, the supply store.  A magical, magical place. 

Siftandwisk2 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 2:43am
post #8 of 27

Where the angles sing and trumpets sound as you float down the aisles...then the thud of reality hitting you over the head when the cashier asks, "cash or credit."

Quote by @JustOneMoreCake on 1 hour ago

Oh man, the supply store.  A magical, magical place. 

JustOneMoreCake Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 3:25am
post #9 of 27

I have approximately  $57,983.45 worth of baking merch in my Amazon cart.  I allow myself one new toy for every project.  Sigh.

Siftandwisk2 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 3:45am
post #10 of 27

Lol  you're as bad as me.  I walked around the store with a biscotti pan trying to talk myself into buying it.  This holiday season alone I baked several hundred biscotti on jelly roll pans.  Just two days ago I baked a batch of biscotti on jelly roll pans.  Yet there I was walking around with a biscotti pan saying, "I need a biscotti pan, I need a biscotti pan."  Then I saw some good metal pie plates...threw that stupid biscotti pan down and grabbed the pie plates...because God as my witness, I need more pie plates:)

JustOneMoreCake Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 27

Ha!  My current project is mirror glazes and entremets and I convinced myself I absolutely needed a ring mold. Never mind that I have a perfectly serviceable springform pan!  And cake stands, I don't have room for all the cake stands I wish I could have.

And I'm just a hobby baker!  There will be no return on investment here.  Ah well.  Most hobbies have some expense attached, right?

Siftandwisk2 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 27

OMG!  We are kindred spirits.   I dubbed this year as my year of baking dangerously. Every pastry that strikes the fear of failure in me will be baked this year. First up a Blackberry, Saffron, & Honey Entremet.  

I've also been researching mirror glazes as I'm developing a riff on an opera cake.  The flavor profile will still include a coffee syrup to moisten a vanilla bean sponge cake; but I want alternate layers of a tchai white chocolate ganache, Amarula buttercream, and a white chocolate mirror glaze top.

Since I provide baked goods for all my friends and family, I bake several times a week.  People offer to pay for my work, but I can't legally accept payment since I'm not licensed. Black market baking just doesn't feel right to me.  But I will accept cost of ingredients, just not payment for labor. 

In my area people have the nation's top caters, bakeries and pastry chefs at their disposal.  This is a wedding destination with exclusive venues.  Given the high end market, it's not uncommon for venues to contract exclusively with a single caterer.  It's a way to control access to a property, ensure  quality, and protect the privacy of the clientele.  Even the property I live on is under exclusive contract with a specific caterer.

On the flip side of that way of business is top culinary resources are here. Since I have access to the nation's top culinary schools and with noted pastry chefs, I've been able to advance both knowledge and skills to the professional level.  I can now develop my own recipes, and my products consistently taste and look like they came from a quality bakery.  Someone recently commented that all my baked products are as good as any of the bakeries in the area.  

If I could get a career redo, I would have been a pastry chef rather than a public servant.  Everybody hates the public employee --but the baker of cake is always welcomed with open arms.

Quote by @JustOneMoreCake on 20 minutes ago

Ha!  My current project is mirror glazes and entremets and I convinced myself I absolutely needed a ring mold. Never mind that I have a perfectly serviceable springform pan!  And cake stands, I don't have room for all the cake stands I wish I could have.

And I'm just a hobby baker!  There will be no return on investment here.  Ah well.  Most hobbies have some expense attached, right?

Quote by @JustOneMoreCake on 20 minutes ago

JustOneMoreCake Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 27

Oooh, your opera cake sounds delicious! Have you heard about that new blonde chocolate from Valrhona?  it's basically caramelized white chocolate.  I'm super intrigued as to what kind of ganache or glaze could come of it.

I've only made two mirror glazes so far and my biggest takeaway has been the importance of the temperature.  When they say 80-90 degrees F, they mean it.  My first time was too warm (I just went by feel) and basically just slid off the cake, which I also hadn't bothered to freeze.  But, what remained on the cake was super, super shiny.  The second batch definitely stayed put (I used a candy thermometer this time to monitor as it cooled down) but wasn't quite as shiny.  There has to be a way to split the difference.  Maybe leaf gelatin vs the powdered I used?  Hmm.

I also want to try making a salted caramel popcorn cake this year and sub a portion of the flour for some toasted corn flour.  Just to see what happens!  And I want to recreate the cruffins from Mr Holmes Bakehouse.  My first attempt was actually quite promising.  I just need to carve out the time.  Damn laminated dough that needs to get started the day before!

You're ahead of me in skill so I'm definitely going to be following your posts.  :-)

Siftandwisk2 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 11:36pm
post #14 of 27

I saw that valrhona dulcey on their website, but didn't look at the description because I was looking for white chocolate at the time.  Now, after you mentioned it, I went back and read the description.  I'm thinking it maybe the right flavor profile for my opera cake ganache. 

As a rule set in stone for me, when it comes to white chocolate ganache, it's valrhona or nothing.  All other white chocolate seems to develop a bad taste when made into ganache (sickly-sweet or an artificial plastic flavor).  Valrhona white chocolate stays pure in flavor and really holds the vanilla notes beautifully.  And the texture is silky.  

Your thoughts on the mirror glaze are very helpful.  I was mulling whether or not to hunt down leaf gelatin since this will be an experiment cake.  I've never been a fan of powdered gelatin, but will use it in a pinch or when I experiment with a recipe. 

I found out the hard way that powder gelatin produces a marked difference in final texture.  I learned to make panna cotta in Italy with leaf gelatin; when I returned home, I used powdered gelatin to make it.  Unfortunately, i didn't test it with powdered gelatin first.  Instead I served it at a dinner party with guests.  During dessert, ex-hubby, with a look of disgust on his face exclaimed, "what did you do to the panna cotta?  It's so thick, not like what you made in Italy."  Cringe.  

It's always difficult to find gelatin sheets.  But I have to drive into San Francisco next week, so I can go on a gelatin hunting expedition while there.  

Did you seal the cake with anything before applying the glaze?  I don't want to add a buttercream crumb coat if I can get away with an alternative.  I'm tempted to use a glaze made with heated and strained preserves.  

Laminated dough is a commitment bigger than marriage.  I've been playing with croissants.  The recipe I used was a three croissant--the French are the most patient bakers in the world,  

JustOneMoreCake Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 12:27am
post #15 of 27

That's good to know about their white chocolate.  It can be so disgustingly sweet/fake tasting but is such a good base for other flavors and colors.     I'd really like to experiment with white chocolate and freeze dried fruit.  Make a ganache with that and then strain out the solids. See what happens!  Stella Parks article on making whipped cream frostings with heavy cream and freeze dried fruits got me thinking.

I've never even seen gelatin sheets in person.  Definitely something I'd like to play with.  Interesting about your panna cotta.

No seal.  It was just frozen chocolate mousse that I'd flavored with Kahlua. Ideally I'd wanted to give it a quick smoothing with a bench scraper dipped in boiling water but at that point my kitchen was a disaster and I couldn't find my bench scrapers!  I think they were under a layer of chocolate.  I always manage to clean as I go until it comes to the final stages and then all hell breaks loose. I was going to do that and then tuck it back into the freezer for a minute but I just worked with the smoothness it had from being in the mold.  The top of the cake was very clean but the sides were a little wavy looking.  I think that can be solved by that initial pour being enough to fully enrobe the cake. I'll see next time. I also wonder about having a little travel hair dryer in my tools - just to blast a bit of heat to something to smooth it out.

One thing that has made my adventures in lamination a little easier is Kerrygold butter.  Ideally I'd get Plugra but I can never find Plugra anymore.  But I find the texture of the Kerrygold so much easier to beat into shape and then stay a bit flexible for folding.  One day (when I have three days to spare!) I want to try Tartine's croissants. I love those things.

Siftandwisk2 Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 4:10am
post #16 of 27

We certainly do approach baking the same way.  My standard brand of butter is pulgra.  I find the butterfat content perfect for most applications. It does chill a bit hard, so when butter temperature is an issue, I make sure I give it adequate time to come to temperature.  Given how hard it gets chilled, I selected kerrygold butter for my maiden voyage into laminated dough.  Kerrygold's pliability was the reason i decided to use it.  I think the pliability made a big difference properly rolling after locking in the butter block.  My main concern was leaking during proofing from improperly locking in the butter.  I got no leaks, but I think I under proofed.  The honeycomb structure was there, but small.

Tried to attach a photo, but the site just crashes. 

JustOneMoreCake Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 8:17pm
post #17 of 27

Yeah, as involved as the Tartine process is, I think it may be a good recipe for a beginner since the end result isn't the honeycomb.  Not really.  But if I can recreate their ham & cheese croissant, I will be so happy.  I already do their lemon bars (even though the end result is not the same as what you get at the bakery - too low.)  But the taste is the same, at least.

My first attempt at the cruffins was a laminated brioche dough. I was actually quite successful at locking in the butter (yay Kerrygold!) but then I overbaked. I look forward to trying again, though!

Siftandwisk2 Posted 25 Jan 2017 , 10:21pm
post #18 of 27

There's an excellent site called Weekend Bakery that has a great tutorial on croissants.  They have both a 3-day recipe and a 1-day recipe.

I made Weekend Bakery's 3-day recipe first; second time I baked Tartine's recipe; third time I went rouge and meld the two recipes.  My intention was to make a frangipani almond croissant for my sister.  Sis buys three when she goes to the bakery; eats one there; takes two home and grudgingly give one to her husband.  It wasn't until I baked the last batch that I bothered to look at Tartine's frangipani recipe--another multi-day commitment!  A baker will grow old, very, very old in the time it takes to make a classic frangipani croissant.  A baker my age will be dead.  

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/classic-french-croissant-recipe/

So you've been to Tartine--are you a City girl?  I'm in wine country.  Have you been to Bouchon in Yountville?  I can't for the life of me understand why people stand in line for that crap.  Worst macaron I've ever eaten!  Actually tossed them in the trash.

I'vet been wanting to try Pierre Herme' brioche.  I paid for that beautiful book, but only baked his blueberry muffin.  

JustOneMoreCake Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 1:38am
post #19 of 27

I lived in the City for four years before I got priced out.  I get back as much as I can but wish I could live there again! I've never been to Bouchon; most of the time I crossed the bridge was to go hiking in Muir Woods.

What do you think makes a bad macaron?  I can take them or leave them, for the most part. It's one popular treat that is kind of way down on the list of things I want to try.  Maybe mango.  Last year when Trader Joe's did their Mangopalooza, I inhaled multiple boxes of the mango macarons so that may be my palate for macarons in general!

I've done a brioche style hamburger bun that was quite nice but, like you, I mashed up a couple recipes to do it and then couldn't remember which ones they were.  Boo.  I'm going to google and see if that Pierre Herme recipe is online somewhere.

There's a bakery in San Diego called Extraordinary Desserts that's extraordinarily overrated in my opinion. Now, in San Francisco, I'd like to try a croissant from that place in the inner Richmond. Maybe by spring, the lines will have eased up a bit.

Siftandwisk2 Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 4:25am
post #20 of 27

You're totally legit--you call it the City!  I lived in Glen Park many years; a village type of neighborhood that no one ever heard of except those who live there.  Bottom of Diamond Heights & adjacent to Noe Valley.  My son is fourth generation City born.  He just moved to San Diego a couple of months ago. 

Bouchon's macaron is gigantic, which I think is just plain wrong given the richness of the ganache and the fact that sugar, lots of sugar is necessary in macaronage (yup, macaronage is a real word).  The hallmark of a properly made macaron is the formation of the foot, that ruffled crinkled line at the bottom of the shell (yup, the French have names for every part of those suckers). If the foot is not real crinkled and just a thin line, it's pretty much a given that the inside of the shell is nothing more than a hollow air pocket.  And a hollow shell means the baker failed to properly deflate the egg whites. In the world of macaronage, a hollow shell is a total fail. I didn't look at the feet because I was buying macarons from Thomas Kellers' Bouchon's.  Turned out every one of their macarons were hollow.  If I wanted hollow shells, I would have baked my own:)

You mentioned how much you loved the mango macarons; you tasted the mango flavor, yes?  Bouchon's macarons had no flavor--just an overwhelming sweetness, completely  inedible.  My friend purchased a couple of pastries, and also tossed them because they were too sweet.  The toffee was average--I admit I ate it cuz even average toffee is, well still toffee.  Tour buses dropped off tourists by the hundreds in front of that place. I just don't get it.  I go across the street to a chocolate shop for their gelato; then sit on a bench under a shade tree and watch all the tourists standing in line sweat in the July heat. 

Macarons are an art form...I don't care for most of them, but I have a tchai macaron recipe that is to die for.  It was in the making of this macaron that I learned to use only Valrhona for white chocolate ganache.  Callebaut, Guittard, Ghiradelli white chocolates didnt even close.  

I have Pierre Herme's Pastries cookbook. I can email you any recipes you want to try.

JustOneMoreCake Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 9:42pm
post #21 of 27

Oh, ugh, those do sound awful!  The frozen TJ ones were way better than that and tiny as they should be.

I lived in West Portal; of course I know Glen Park! West Portal is another part of town that no one who hasn't lived in San Francisco has heard of. That's okay; leave it for us, thank you very much.

I'd love some of those recipes, thank you!  I found the brioche recipe (looks quite attempt-able!) but of course don't know if it's word for word what was published.  I make an almond cake that I (thought I)  got off David Lebovitz's site that is ostensibly the Chez Panisse almond cake (and I'd copy/pasted it onto a Word doc) but when I happened onto it on his site a couple weeks ago, it wasn't at all what I'd been making!  I googled a bit and found it (the slightly different version)  on a different site (which I also must have done previously) but now I don't know which is the original and which is the riff. I'm going to keep making it the way I make it because it's delicious and my family loves it (I add a thick layer of sliced almonds to the top before baking and then a generous sprinkle of powdered sugar.  It basically tastes like an almond croissant, but cake. One of these days I'm going to add a thick layer of apricot or raspberry jam inside )

If you haven't tried that almond cake but you like almond, I highly recommend it.  It's so easy you can almost make it in your sleep. And it keeps for absolute days.

Siftandwisk2 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 1:14am
post #22 of 27

I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's.  Most of there products are very good.  It's my go to store for a lot of baking ingredients like nuts, dried sour cherries, butter, cream, eggs etc.  Their prices are excellent.  I love their salted cultured butter for shortbread cookies. 

I love Lebovitz's site.  Let me know how the almond cakes turn out.  I've been searching for a good almond cake.   If youre one to buy baking ingredients online, I highly recommend Mandlin almond products.  There almond paste and blanched almond flour are superior to what's available in the grocery stores.  I put the link below.

took a macaron class at Surfas Culinary District  in Costa Mesa a few years ago.  They provided Mandelin almond flour and Valrhone chocolate.  I couldn't believe the difference in the final product compared to brands like Bob's Red Mill.  Grocery store almond flour is very coarse by comparison.  

If you ever get up to Orange County, Surfas is worth a visit.  They supply the trade, but open to the public.   They're located in the furniture design center--odd place for a restaurant supply store.  Commercial quality tools, storage containers, pans, serving pieces at good prices.  They have a large selection of Valrhona and Callebaut most of the year.  Whenever I go to SoCal, I try to swing by to purchase chocolate in bulk.  Chocolate is limited in the store during summer because shipping in heat becomes an issue.  Their classes are excellent as well.  They always provide quality ingredients.  

Next week I'll copy some recipes from Pierre Herme' book and email to you through the message function on this site.  I'll include his brioche recipe so you can compare it to the one you have.

https://www.mandelininc.com

JustOneMoreCake Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 4:55am
post #23 of 27

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/12/14/chez-panisse-almond-torte/

This is the recipe I use, which is slightly different than the one on his site. My only changes are that I use 8 oz of almond paste (as that's the size the Solo comes in) and 1/4 tsp of almond extract. I also just use my mixer as I don't own a food processor.  The consistency of the butter makes a difference here.  If it's any softer than thumbprint, the cake is a little greasy.  Now, my family actually liked it that way and pronounced it "extra moist" so go figure.  But I like it when the butter is a wee bit firmer than being able to dig your thumb halfway down.

And one of these days, I'm going to make very detailed notes about the weight of eggs and the results from certain weights.  I've noticed for ages that "large" eggs seem to be all over the place but keep getting feedback that nothing has changed in egg classification.  But my eyes don't deceive me that much; one carton of "large" eggs seems to have plenty of eggs that I would have classified as medium.

I've never even heard of Mandelin. I've used Solo and Odense, that's it. Will definitely look those up!  I was looking for blanched almond flour the other day and had no luck at all.

Siftandwisk2 Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 3:18am
post #24 of 27

Justonemorecake, sorry for delay in response.  I was doing a baking marathon, and had a really bad day of baking yesterday.  But it's a new day and life is good again.

im going to have to try the almond tart.  I want to recreate a fresh fruit tart that was offered at a patisserie in Berkeley back in the 80's.  It was a tart shell with a very thin layer of chocolate inside; over that was a thin almond tart filling; it was topped with fresh berries and a preserve glaze.  It was my favorite dessert for years.  I've wanted to recreate it for years.  But I haven't yet found an almond tart filling that comes close to the one served in that long closed patisserie.

Interesting what you said about the greasy tart and your family's impression of it being moister.  A pastry chef once told me when shortening is used in cake, it coats the mouth and tongue, and people mistake that greasy coating for a moist cake.  I wonder if the butter is having the same effect.  

regarding eggs, you are so correct.  About 2 years ago I started weighing my eggs for the reason you stated.  I always check the eggs before putting them in my shopping cart.  If there's too many "medium" looking eggs in the carton, I'll put it back.  

Heres what I came up with on egg weight.  A large egg (out of shell) can be any where from 50 grams to 54 grams.  Trader Joe's large eggs are in the 49 to 50 gram range.  I decided to use 50 grams as my standard for a large egg.  So I'll beat my eggs, then weight out 50 grams per large egg.  I've taken to making egg and olive oil hair masks to use up the surplus:)  I still for the life of me can't figure out the brown vs white shell and fertile vs non fertile egg.  A while back I asked an employee at Whole Foods and he couldn't explain any benefit or drawbacks of either types.  He said the fertile eggs can potentially hatch.  But seriously, I highly doubt  I'm going to open my fridge to find a dozen baby chicks.  

JustOneMoreCake Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 6:39pm
post #25 of 27

No worries; there's no timetable!  :-)

To be clear, what I make is an almond cake not a tart.  The recipe calls it a torte - maybe since there's so little flour in it? The almond tart you mention sounds delicious though.  Almond cream/frangipane is one of my favorite flavors.

I wish baking wasn't an expensive hobby!  Ideally, I'd line up hundreds (if not thousands!) of dollars worth of equipment and ingredients and just go to town and NOT feel badly about what I had to pitch. Ah well.

I once saw a woman go through all the containers of strawberries to pick out the nicest ones for her quart (just the standard Driscoll's berries). I wonder if people do that with eggs?

Siftandwisk2 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 1:53am
post #26 of 27

Justonemorecake, a torte filling I'd what I need, a lot less flour than a cake, with more almond than flour.  

You sound like me, I'd rather buy baking supplies than shoes:)  I chuck the Nordstrom catalog in the trash without a look, but the William Sonoma and Sur La Table catalogs are read page for page.  Sigh, yes if only we had an American Express Black Card.

that lady going through all the strawberries was probably me:)))))

JustOneMoreCake Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 4:35am
post #27 of 27

hahahahahaha!

Quote by @Siftandwisk2 on 2 hours ago

that lady going through all the strawberries was probably me:)))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%