Beyondbuttercream White Cake (Confuse)

Baking By yste Updated 15 Jan 2017 , 2:43am by yste

yste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yste Posted 14 Jan 2017 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 5

This is a great recipe. Ive been making it for 3 years with great results,moist and very fine texture. I just realized after reading my recipe again that ive been mixing it in a different way. I know its a reverse creaming method, so i mix the dry ingredients to the fat and when its like sand texture thats when i add the liquid, etc..... But after reading the pdf again today, it says that add the fat and buttermilk to the dry ingredients. Im confuse now, i thought reverse creaming method is mixing dry and butter. If you mix dry ingredients together with fat and liquid then its called one bowl method. Sorry for my ignorance, im  just a hobby baker, maybe someone can help me understand this and correct me if im wrong. Thanks

4 replies
Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 15 Jan 2017 , 12:53am
post #2 of 5

I've always just followed the recipe as written when making this recipe and have never had a problem.  If you're happy with the way the recipe turns out the way you're making it and other people are happy with it's taste, I'd just continue with the way you've been making it.  If you really feel you need to change to the reverse creaming method, which is the original way to mix it all, then do so and see what you think.  If you aren't happy with the way it turns out, go back to the way you've been making it all along.  I'm just a hobby baker, too,  but as I said, I've always had so many compliments on this cake it will always be my favorite white cake.

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 15 Jan 2017 , 1:50am
post #3 of 5

Don't worry, you're technique is standard for high ratio and was the original way her recipe was written.

I assume you have the $30 version of the recipe.  Years ago the baker had it posted for free on her blog. The original free version instructions are to beat the butter into the dry ingredients "until flour looks like coarse meal."--which is exactly what you have been doing, yes?.  My guess is she made minor revisions to the process to justify the price increase from free to $30.

Your method is how it's normally done.  So if your results are great, I'd stick to it.  It's how I mix my batter  

The method is referred to as high ratio.  It's the commercial production method using commercial high ratio cake flour and emulsified shortening.  High ratio cakes are also distinct in the flour to sugar ratio.  Since home bakers can't buy ratio cake flour and emulsified shortening at the super market, the mixing technique is used with retail cake flour and butter.

The reason bakeries use high ratio cake flour and shortening is stability and strong crumb--you have to drop a brick on the cake to smash it, and shelf life. 

yste Posted 15 Jan 2017 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

Wow! Thank you very much that is very informative!  I knew the recipe even before i bought the pdf last year for only $19.99.  I've been making her recipes by just relying on the old comments from cakecentral and her website. I didnt pay much attention to the instruction when i bought it. Maybe thats the reason why my procedure is different from pdf.  I bought it only because i was just curious about what are the new variations she added.

Quote by @Siftandwisk2 on 49 minutes ago

Don't worry, you're technique is standard for high ratio and was the original way her recipe was written.

I assume you have the $30 version of the recipe.  Years ago the baker had it posted for free on her blog. The original free version instructions are to beat the butter into the dry ingredients "until flour looks like coarse meal."--which is exactly what you have been doing, yes?.  My guess is she made minor revisions to the process to justify the price increase from free to $30.

Your method is how it's normally done.  So if your results are great, I'd stick to it.  It's how I mix my batter  

The method is referred to as high ratio.  It's the commercial production method using commercial high ratio cake flour and emulsified shortening.  High ratio cakes are also distinct in the flour to sugar ratio.  Since home bakers can't buy ratio cake flour and emulsified shortening at the super market, the mixing technique is used with retail cake flour and butter.

The reason bakeries use high ratio cake flour and shortening is stability and strong crumb--you have to drop a brick on the cake to smash it, and shelf life. 

yste Posted 15 Jan 2017 , 2:43am
post #5 of 5

Hi Gerle. Thank you for your reply.  I love the white  cake version too. I tried the whole eggs and i liked it too. The egg yolks  version is good but not as fluffy as the other 2 versions.

Quote by @Gerle on 1 hour ago

I've always just followed the recipe as written when making this recipe and have never had a problem.  If you're happy with the way the recipe turns out the way you're making it and other people are happy with it's taste, I'd just continue with the way you've been making it.  If you really feel you need to change to the reverse creaming method, which is the original way to mix it all, then do so and see what you think.  If you aren't happy with the way it turns out, go back to the way you've been making it all along.  I'm just a hobby baker, too,  but as I said, I've always had so many compliments on this cake it will always be my favorite white cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%