Chocolate Or Plain Buttercream Under Fondant On Chocolate Cake

Decorating By mrsmauldin Updated 12 Jan 2017 , 11:11pm by inthekitchen2

mrsmauldin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmauldin Posted 12 Jan 2017 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a 3 tiered sweet 16 cake covered in fondant.  The top layer is lemon, im going to do lemon buttercream on that layer. middle layer is vanilla cake and I am doing almond buttercream on that layer.  my question is Should i put chocolate icing on the bottom layer with the chocolate cake?  My husband says no just plain buttercream I think Chocolate.  Customer didnt specify. I have asked them but waiting a reply and just wanted the opinion of others. Thanks!

3 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Jan 2017 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 4

It really is up to personal taste. I prefer chocolate bc on a chocolate cake.  And you could flavour your chocolate bc too..orange, lemon, peppermint, etc. But cake can also taste great with vanilla bc too. See...personal taste!! If you don't hear back from your customer, I'd go with a plain chocolate bc to be safe. And much easier chocolate on chocolate..less covering of dark crumbs in white bc!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jan 2017 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 4

I agree it's just a personal choise.  If I were eating it it definately would be choco but that might cause a problem under fondant.  Hope you hear from the customer.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 12 Jan 2017 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 4

I'd go with chocolate, it matches the way you're doing your other cakes. I always do chocolate/chocolate and only get compliments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%