Flashback

Lounge By Dee0024 Updated 14 Jan 2017 , 6:40pm by cakingandbaking

Dee0024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee0024 Posted 9 Jan 2017 , 3:51am
post #1 of 9

When did you all know you wanted to be cake decorators? I think I'd be nice if you all were reminded why you do what you do.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2017 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 9

When did I *know*?  My daughter gave us 3 weeks to the day to plan her wedding.  I had never made a cake to speak of but was taked into making a 'homemade cake with cream cheese icing' by her then-future MIL.  She had taken Wilton classes some 10 yrs before but never did anything w/it.  However she had 'all the equipment' stored in the  barn:)  She gave us an old Wilton yrbk and we picked out what looked easy.  I ended up making a 3 tier cake w/bridges to satilight cakes and used real violets for most of the decorations.  3 days later I was asked to help make a small wedding cake for a gal who's baker backed out on her just days before the wedding (never met her til yrs later); then 3 weeks after that daughter's MIL asked me to make another 3 tier wedding cake.  I was just suppose to bake & ice it & she would do the decorating but a BIG problem w/the bride came up so as MIL talked w/the bride I had to decorate the cake.    That's when I decided I needed to learn what I was doing:) 

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 10 Jan 2017 , 12:55am
post #3 of 9

I always wanted to be able to decorate cakes. I baked very well, but falsely believed I was limited to slimy canned frosting. That, and store bought cakes, even ordered from display books, never were exactly what I wanted and were so limiting. It was not until I moved to Florida and found out one of my neighbors decorated character cakes that I found out it was possible to take classes. As it turned out, she never progressed beyond decorating character cakes with the star tips, while I LOVED (and still love) learning new techniques, making flowers and cakes for all ages and occasions. She resented me a little for a while. I've never regretted it for a moment.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Jan 2017 , 3:57am
post #4 of 9

I took a Wilton course just for fun, and got hooked.  I was making cakes a lot there for awhile.  I didn't want to go into a business, just wanted to do it for friends and family.  Now a lot of them are dieting, have been diagnosed as diabetic (my hubby included), or for one reason or another don't want cakes any more.  I always got rave reviews about my cakes and the way they were decorated, but I just don't get the opportunity to do it any more.  I even made the wedding cake for my youngest son's wedding almost 2 years ago and I was really proud of how it turned out.  So needless to say I don't make many any more, but I still come here to look at what everyone else does and how pretty they are.  I do make the cakes for my son's birthdays and their wives, my husband, but that's about it.  I miss making them, but I don't want to get into a business with it because I'm 65 and just don't want to be tied down to a business at that age.  Every once in a while once of my nieces will request a cake for one of their children, but that's about it.  I do miss it, though.

doctorwhobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doctorwhobaker Posted 10 Jan 2017 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 9

I'm still figuring things out but I thought I would just share my journey so far :)

I am the middle child of 10 children and we have only have two months in the year when we DONT have a birthday to celebrate. Growing up, I just loved being in the kitchen.  I loved cooking, baking, cleaning, you name it! As long as I was in the kitchen.  When I was 10 I started to make the birthday cakes for my siblings.  I used the boxed mix and the canned frosting, loads of candy and oreos - all around they tasted great, were super sugary and well . . . looked like a 10 year old had made them ;P ;) Flash forward a couple of years I started getting more and more interested in the science of baking and started making my cakes and frosting from scratch - and they were delicious! Its kind of funny, I remember the very first cake that I made that actually looked professional and tasted good, too (I was 13 at the time).  Flash forward another year and a half and a couple of fancy cakes, my brother was getting married, a small wedding, and wanted me to make the cake.  And that's kind of where everything exploded.  A little more than a year later I am making my second wedding cake for a wedding 4x the size of my brother's and I am only 16!! I am kind of overwhelmed by how quickly things escalated but overall, I am very excited to be baking and part of the couple's special day. 

I will be going to college in a couple of years and everyone says I should pursue culinary school and run a business but that is just so much money and the possibility of my business actually succeeding is a small percentage - so we will see where God takes me :)

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 13 Jan 2017 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 9

@doctorwhobaker ‍ What a cool story! I love hearing about other people who decorate cakes who are around my age (I'm 19). I looked at your gallery and the wedding cake you made for your brother was lovely! I'm sure your next wedding cake will be gorgeous!

Dee0024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee0024 Posted 13 Jan 2017 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 9

@cakingandbaking ‍ More on here around my age than I thought.

doctorwhobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doctorwhobaker Posted 13 Jan 2017 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you @cakingandbaking ‍ ! You know what, y'all have gotten me curious about how many people on this website are around our age . . . I think we should make a forum post about it in the lounge and see how many responses we get!

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 14 Jan 2017 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 9

@doctorwhobaker ‍ Yes, you should make a post!‍ @Dee0024 ‍ Isn't it cool? When I joined CakeCentral I thought for sure I would be the only one under 20! Haha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%