Opinions Please!

Decorating By Queensweet Updated 29 Dec 2016 , 1:16am by Queensweet

Queensweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queensweet Posted 23 Dec 2016 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 7

I've got a very picky customer on my hands who wants a Hello Kitty cake, with a Niki Minaj bow, gold cake board, and pearl border. For colors she said gold, pink, and green, though mainly she wants gold. Whew! 

So right now I'm thinking I'll push her towards doing Gold, pink, and white, because I really don't know how green would look. Gold cake board, hello kitty face on the top with a big bow like she wants where yellow kitty's bow normally is. Maybe the bow pink and the pearls along the border pink? She also wants her name and age on there so maybe those pink as well?

Any suggestions? Recommendations for what would look good? I'm all about pleasing the customer, but I also want to do cakes that showcase my work and aren't gaudy. 

Thanks everyone!

6 replies
Itsabakerslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Itsabakerslife Posted 23 Dec 2016 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 7

I agree with you that green does look out of place on a hello kitty cake. Maybe she has had a look at complimentary colours? Pink and green are complimentary to each other. Maybe you could give the Hello Kitty vibrant green eyes? 

I also understand the 'staying true to yourself' part of it. At the end of the day, YOU are the baker and decorator. She'll probably value your expertise and design skills much more if you make her a cake that 'works' rather than a cake that has all the colours that she wants on it which wouldn't really work.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 23 Dec 2016 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 7

I've seen plenty of HK cakes that have green on it. Pastel colors always look nice. I don't agree with pushing her in the direction that you want. She is paying you for your service. You can make suggestions, but at the end if the day, it is what she wants.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Dec 2016 , 4:06am
post #4 of 7

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Niki Minaj bow?

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 24 Dec 2016 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 7

Your client is probably envisioning a hot pink and lime green combination. There are plenty of Hello Kitty cakes with these combination :) it's actually a very nice colour combo, very hip! 

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 25 Dec 2016 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 7

Customers ask us to make things that would be against the law, etc. 

I would refuse to make a cake with a design that you know belongs to a company that is copyrighted.  Just because the internet is full of copies does not mean you can copy it and profit from it.  So the color of Hello Kitty is not the issue. 

Queensweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queensweet Posted 29 Dec 2016 , 1:16am
post #7 of 7

gscout73 it honestly just looks like a regular bow to me! That's what she called it though. She did show me the bow on a Nicki Minaj cake so maybe she meant the cake. 

I think we got it figured out. It's a little busier than I would normally go for but I think I can incorporate everything she wants :) we're going to be doing lighter pinks and greens and then the gold. I can make it work!

ypierce82 I don't mean I'd demand she'd do those colors or refuse to do the cake obviously! Sometimes with my customers I give them suggestions that I think will work better. Often times they like those ideas better, because I'm the decorator who has the experience, and sometimes the customers aren't going to think of certain things. Sometimes people are deadset and that's fine. 

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%