Wilton Candy Melts

Decorating By Miss.Reynolds Updated 20 Dec 2016 , 9:54pm by Miss.Reynolds

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 10

So I know im going to get slashed for not have a picture to show as an example but I was pressed for time. This is my second run with candy apples. Ive used Wilton Candy melts both times. First time was ok. This time when I dipped my apples and lifted them up out of the melts they were seperating VERY weird and uneven. I saw a video in which the person shook their apples just a little. I tried that and it only made it worst. I added about 3 tablespoons of Vegetable oil to the melts. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong. Im posting the "aftermath" picture on how they turned out. But this does no just on how they looked in person. 

9 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 12:17am
post #2 of 10

I never add vegetable oil, only shortening, ad I found it slid off and the texture was weird. 3 tablespoons seems like a lot. How much of the candy melts did you melt? I add 1 tbs shortening for 12oz. 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 10:36am
post #3 of 10

I've never used the candy melts on candy apples... I've always just used a sugar syrup heated to the right temperature (and flavored/colored as I like)...

I have never had luck with the Wilton brand melts, My local cake store doesn't stock them, and I think the ones from Michaels, Catans, and Joanns may be older or sit around longer and maybe that is why...

Miss.Reynolds Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 10

@ypierce82 ‍ I used 2 packs of the 12 oz Wilton candy melts. I saw somewhere to use 1 1/2 tbs of vegetable oil per bag (always trust the internet! lol). 

Miss.Reynolds Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 10

I tried the sugar syrup @AAtkt but I couldnt get the temperature to go up to the 300 degrees and it bubbled like crazy and wouldnt smooth on to the apples at all. I think that method was a bigger headache than the candy melts for me at least :) 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 10

Did you wash the apples before dipping them?   Many store bought apples are coated with wasx to keep them 'alive' longer.  That might have alot to do with your problem.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 10

@kakeladi ‍ I washed them and heavily dried them off with a paper towel. The last time I dipped them in the "hot water bath" they turned brown very quickly. Im all over the place here! lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 10

I make a lot of caramel-chocolate apples during the fall season.  Definitely not just wash the apples, but I use a green scrubbie to be sure to scratch the wax off.  I first dipp in caramel, then use a small offset spatula to knock some of the caramel off.  After that dries, I dip in melted melts, but I never use Wilton melts.  I've been using Peters lately and used Merkens previously.  Both brands are far, far, far superior to Wilton.  (Does Wilton use the lowest bidder?)

Then I use a small offset spatula to knock off some of the excess chocolate and roll in chopped nuts, OR let them dry and drizzle contrasting chocolate colors over the outside.  $5 each and mostly they are all prepaid.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you! @leah_s ‍ I didnt even know there was another choice of melts to go with. It seems like all the stores I go to out here in CA are packed with Wilton Brand candy melts only and I am stuck those dull colors. I didnt even think about dipping them in caramel first (thank you for that!) Here is the picture of what I did. Hopefully it shows up. CC doesnt want me to upload anything right now lol. 

Image may contain: food

Miss.Reynolds Posted 20 Dec 2016 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 10

I have cake pops coming up real soon (my first attempt at them.) and I didnt know if my problems were an apple thing, a candy melt thing, or just a skills thing lol 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%