Pricing On Custom Bowling Ball Cake?

Business By Bmarco Updated 14 Dec 2016 , 4:16am by Pastrybaglady

Bmarco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bmarco Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 8

I am awful at pricing.  I seem to be doing cakes for friends lately (just starting) and although I hate to charge a lot, I am not making ANY money on these... and they take HOURS.  

Any ideas on pricing?  Served about 22-25.  Chocolate with chocolate buttercream / fondant.  If you can give me a range, I would appreciate it.  These are being sold in a market that tends to pay on the higher end for products/services.  

[postimage id="5984" thumb="900"]

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 8

Pricing has soooo many facets to it...your location; cost of ingredients; how much hourly wage you want to make.    W/o a picture it is hard to say even a 'ballpark' figure.  You need to do some figuring out the above things.  Don't forget to include the coast of board, box, ALL ingredients; you estimate of cost of gas &/or electric to make the cake.....as I said soooo many factors need to be taken into consideration.

Bmarco Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 8
Bmarco Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry,

Didn't know how to upload image properly - http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3383998/bowling-ball

Quote by @kakeladi on 8 minutes ago

Pricing has soooo many facets to it...your location; cost of ingredients; how much hourly wage you want to make.    W/o a picture it is hard to say even a 'ballpark' figure.  You need to do some figuring out the above things.  Don't forget to include the coast of board, box, ALL ingredients; you estimate of cost of gas &/or electric to make the cake.....as I said soooo many factors need to be taken into consideration.

kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 8

That looks very time consuming.   I don't know your skill level and don't want to upset you but are you capleable of making that?  How long do you think it would take?  I suggest NO LESS than $150 but then I retired from selling/making cakes yrs ago when it was easy to price!  Pricing on our custom made cakes has gone sky high:)

Bmarco Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 8

I did make that :-) ....This past weekend for a friend - but I said that I would settle up with her this week because she was busy with the party ;-)

$150 was about what I was thinking too...  I don't think I'll get more out of her, but if I could charge more in the future, then I'd like to know!

*** ALSO *** Did this one for the next day.  Never again back to back!  (I have a full-time job and three very young children... I was a bit ahead of myself).

Can you also help me price this one?  LOL.  (I only charged $150 because it was for another good friend and I knew that she couldn't pay more than that, but I wanted to give her a nice cake!) - 
40 people.  Choc/btcream top, van/btrceam bottom. 

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3383999/winter-birthday-cake

kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 8

You are **NEVER** going to make any money if you keep that thought process going :(  I know how you feel......they can't afford more....won't pay more....etc, etc but do you go into a resturant or car dealership and try to make them think you can't afford anything they offer so they willo offer you something cheaper??  Of course not.  If they want a custom designed cake they have to pay the custom price.   

I can't use the link you posted.  Which cake is it - the dino or the 2 tiered?  To give you a better idea of pricing I really suggest you find the many threads on here about pricing.  It is very hard to figure as I stated before due to your location, what you pay for ingredients etc, etc, etc. there is much information for someone who will take the time to look it up.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Dec 2016 , 4:16am
post #8 of 8

Kakeladi is right. You need to decide if you're running a business for profit or just doing cake favors for people. It's a tricky thing to find the balance between what your market can bear and the price that makes making any given cake worth your time and expenses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%