Cake Mixes From Scratch???

Baking By tootiefruity Updated 10 Feb 2017 , 10:47pm by tootiefruity

tootiefruity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootiefruity Posted 2 Dec 2016 , 3:11am
post #1 of 7

I have seen so many recipes claiming to be scratch cake mixes. But they all, or most of them, seem to include the wet ingredients. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are going to call it a scratch cake mix, wouldn't you be putting together a recipe of just the dry ingredients to replace a box mix? Why don't you label them "Scratch Cake Recipes" or "Cake Recipes from Scratch"? My search is for a cake mix recipe to replace the box mix recipe damaged by the manufacturers when they made their recent change in their products.

Just saying...any thoughts?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2016 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 7

Years ago I did have such recipes.  I found them in a cookbook.  Just the dry ingreditnets and the directions on how to use them  I no longer remember what cookbook it was and probaly don't have it any more as I recently had to get rid of almost all my books:(

It was a rather old book - from the 1950s or '60s as I remember.  A thin one - I think only cookies and cakes.  Maybe this info might help you find it - but don't hold your breath.

tootiefruity Posted 10 Feb 2017 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 7

Good Afternoon WASC recipe fans. I promised you a recipe a couple days ago, but wanted to bake it for a day or two decorating, for moistness. And I did this for YOU. By the way, don't be freeked out over the amount of flour and sugar. Remember, you are replacing the cake mix. Yap! I had to wrap my little brain around that, too.

My method is to lightly scoop the flour into the measuring cup, level it, and pour it in the bowl. No sifting. If you want a smaller, tighter crumb, sift it. Once I get all the dry ingredients in the bowl, I whisk it together for about a minute. Then I add the wet ingredients and pulse the hand mixer a little bit to get it to a point where it's not going all over the place. I then leave it on low to combine. Once combined, I increase the speed 2 levels and mix for maybe a minute. Pour it into my parchment lined with heating nails and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. It was a 9" x 13" sheet pan. I allowed it to cool completely after the first 10 minutes or so in the pan and then out on a rack, then single wrapped it and placed it in a 2.5 gallon Ziploc. Set it on the microwave for overnight. Then in the morning, I placed it in the fridge for about an hour before I began to trim it. When I did, it was just as moist as I was hoping it would be. I typically do my baking on Monday, triple wrap, Ziploc, and put in the freezer. Tuesday is either fondant or icing, or vice versa. Since I'm a home baker, I've found that to be the best plan of action. There 's always something that intervenes if I wait till later in the week, and no one has every complained about the cake being too moist, even with the boxed cake mix method. The recipe I've created, I must say, is pretty awesome. I sent the cake to my hubby's work and here are the FB comments from the secretary there:

"Fran Gill thanks for the delicious cake! We will take any goodies at any time."

"Left over Beef Stew and Conbread ain't bad for lunch on a cold dreary day! Especially when Fran Gill treated us with cake."

Here's the recipe. Let me know what you think.

Fran’s Scratch WASC Recipe

Adapted from Cake Mixes from Scratch  on CC and Instructors version of the WASC recipe

This recipe will fill several pans. Best to fix the Full Batch recipe for pans larger than 6” rounds or squares. For those, use the half batch recipe below.

FULL BATCH

All Purpose Flour      6-2/3 cups

Granulated Sugar     5 cups

Salt                              3 teaspoons

Baking Powder          2 tablespoon (adjust when adding acidic ingredients by ¼ teaspoon for 1 cup AP)

Water                          2-2/3 cups

Egg Whites                 1-1/3 cups

Applesauce                 4 tablespoons

Sour Cream               2 cup

Flavorings                  2 teaspoons each desired flavorings (doesn’t have to be Almond)

Pudding                      2 Instant

Notes: Bake at least 2 days before decorating, let cool completely, wrap 3 times with plastic wrap, and then wrap with either foil or put in Ziploc bag, your preference. Don’t forget to mark the flavor and date baked, on the outside. Place in freezer. To decorate, take it out the day or night before, depending on your workflow, and place it in the refrigerator to thaw slowly. The day of decorating, take it out and place it on a wire rack to thaw to your carving temp or thaw completely and decorate.

1.      Preheat oven to 350°F, prepare pans as you normally do for baking your cakes.

2.      Measure together flour, sugar, salt, pudding mix, and baking powder, and place in large bowl.       ** See note below**

3.      Add water, egg whites, applesauce, sour cream, and flavorings.

4.      Beat at low speed with hand mixer for 1 minute to combine ingredients, then medium for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently.

5.      Pour batter (filling half full or using your own measurements for half full pans) into prepared cake pans lined with parchment, if used.

6.      Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until tester or toothpick comes out clean.

**Finer Crumb, tighter texture, measure out flour, sift first, then re-measure what you need. Larger Crumb, moister cake, lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level, do not sift. Put all dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.

Fran’s Scratch WASC Recipe

(Half Batch)

Best for use with 6” rounds or squares, and a few cupcakes. Use Full Batch for 8” and larger.

HALF BATCH

All Purpose Flour      3-1/3 cups

Granulated Sugar     2-1/2 cups

Salt                              1-1/2 teaspoons

Baking Powder          1 tablespoon (adjust when adding acidic ingredients by ¼ teaspoon for 1 cup AP)

Water                          1-1/3 cups

Egg Whites                 1/2 cup

Applesauce                 2 tablespoons

Sour Cream               1 cup

Flavorings                  1 teaspoon each desired flavorings (doesn’t have to be Almond)

Pudding                      1 Instant (To Thick – add a little more water or some milk)

1.      Preheat oven at 350°F, prepare pans as you normally do for baking your cakes.

2.      Follow directions above for measuring out your dry ingredients based on your desired texture and crumb size.

3.      Add water, egg whites, applesauce, sour cream, and flavorings.

4.      Beat at low speed with hand mixer for 1 minute to combine ingredients, then medium for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently.

5.      Pour batter (filling half full or by using your own measurements for half full pans) into prepared cake pans lined with parchment, if used.

6.      Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until tester or toothpick comes out clean.

tootiefruity Posted 10 Feb 2017 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 7

If you try and find this recipe works for you, CLICK HERE and check out my website. You can send me an email from there to let me know I was successful in helping you. Have a great day!  Fran

JerryLINY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JerryLINY Posted 10 Feb 2017 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 7

Why doesn't the link work?

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Feb 2017 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 7

What size pudding box, large or small, do you use?

tootiefruity Posted 10 Feb 2017 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 7

JerryLINY...I don't know why the link doesn't work, but here is the website address:  www.cakedesignsbyfran.com.    

Thanks for asking...Fran

Gerle...Sorry about that. It's a small box. I haven't even checked the large box to see if it's doubled in weight. If so, you could use 1 large box for the full recipe, but a small box for the half recipe. Thanks for asking...Fran

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%