What To Do With Canceled Cake

Baking By reginaherrin Updated 23 Nov 2016 , 8:40pm by kakeladi

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 22 Nov 2016 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 7

So my customer just canceled her cake but I have already baked it.  I don't want the cake to sit in my freezer until I can use it so I have decided to use it to make something for Thanksgiving.  So it is a white cake and I want to do something different and to wow my family.  So any and all suggestions  welcome.  Thanks in advance.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2016 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 7

turn it into a turkey.   You don't say what size or shape it is but even a round can become a turkey:)

Look through the pictures in the gallery for inspiration. 

kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2016 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 7

There are 150 pages of thanksgiving cakes to look through.  There must be something that inspiries you.  Don't know your skill level so don't know what to point you to....so spend some 15 minutes(?) looking at the pix. 

Using a round- say 8x4 cake make some feathers out of fondant strengthened with tylose and carve the front a bit to make room for the head/waddle.  I can picture it but hard to describe:)    

reginaherrin Posted 22 Nov 2016 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 7

I'm such a dummy I'm so sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post. I actually I'm looking for a recipe for the cake and I actually don't want to decorate it. I did find a recipe for a cannoli cake which does sound good  but I'm not totally  sure about that. So any suggestions flavor wise  would be great. 

kakeladi Posted 22 Nov 2016 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 7

OH!  Your original post said yu had already baked the cake :( 

reginaherrin Posted 22 Nov 2016 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 7

Yes it is baked but there are so many different things I can do with it as far as different filings  different icings things of that sort which is what I was looking for ideas on.

kakeladi Posted 23 Nov 2016 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 7

Oh there are soooo many choices.  Of course, for this time of yr pumpkin mousse comes to mind.   OR use some cranberry sauce (jellied) in your b'cream or straight (spread on the cake) for the filling.   I'm a b'cream person - so of course I would mixed either into stiff consistency b'cream til it's easier to work with. 

Then, there is always any fruit purees that can be used - any you like - maybe apricot? Add some chopped dried or well drained canned, using the fruit juice to thin b'cream or whipped cream for the filling.  When making just  enough icing for an 8x4" cake I use a jar of babyfood fruit :)  Wide choice of flavors.  

Or cherry - marachino (sp?) juice - it will tint and flavor.   One can also use KoolAid - just use maybe a teaspoon of dry KoolAid mixed into b'cream.  I have used as much as a 1/2 pkg depending on how much b'cream you need and how strong you want the flavor. 

Maybe this is the time to try a new icing recipe.  Don't know what you usually use.  Even Fondant can be flavored as wanted to some extend.  I have used butternut flavoring along w/some butter extract; find some extract or candy flavoring flavor  you have never used before.  What I did was just pour a few drops into a well/fingerprint in the fondant and knead well.  Again, how much you use depends on how much fondant used & how much flavoring you want. 

Oh!  Just thought of the 'new' bacon jam craze.   Maybe carmel w/bacon for the filling?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%