Contracts

Business By kcampeau Updated 1 Dec 2016 , 8:06am by Heavensentsweets

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 18 Nov 2016 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 2

I am making my contracts up for my cake business and had a few questions I am hoping you can help me with. I do cakes, cupcakes and sweet tables. Often I intermingle the 3. What is the best way to go about a contract and sketch when I have my options for cupcakes, options for cakes and options for sweet tables? Should I have an order form for each one and then a general separate section for terms and conditions and customer info and then attach the applicable order forms with a sheet for the sketch of the look of it all?

Do you do contracts for ALL orders, even a $25 cupcake order? Or just over a certain amount of money?

Also, since I am a caterer only and take only X number of orders per week I was thinking of a provision where brides can make amendments to the order but the original contract price cannot change. I had a bride who all of a sudden got a tight budget and wanted to go from a 4 tier cake for $500 to a 2 tier cake for $200 (fondant and extravagant to simple buttercream). But I had turned another order away thinking with how elaborate her cake was I would not have time to fill this other order, but now I would have. So I want to set some type of "you can change the design, flavour, or increase the servings but the original amount of the cake is the minimum charge and only increases can be made". Something along those lines.

Also, any other provisions you have found useful in your dealings?

Thanks!

1 reply
Heavensentsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavensentsweets Posted 1 Dec 2016 , 8:06am
post #2 of 2

Hi. I am just starting my home business and I am doing the same as you, cakes, cupcakes and other sweet treats. I have done a few orders already and have learned some lessons (not the easy way). So this is what I am going to do.

Use a order form for each confection. This can be done printed or kept electronic. I just bought a tablet  so I can keep everything electronic and the customer can sign the contract directly on the tablet. Then I can email it so they have their own copy.

I use Cake Boss so once I have the clients orders I input it into the system and use the invoicing option. 

No matter how large or small the order is I am going to make my client sign a contract. I have had a client make changes daily and even call me at 6am and text me at 4:30am!!!!! That same customer also reduced their order at the last minute. And I have even had a friend from church cancel their order the night before, after I had already bought the ingredients and supplies!!!!

Soooo yeah, Fool me once....fool me twice? NEVER!!!

I was poking around on these forums and found this sample wedding contract. The terms are pretty extensive but you can pick and choose what you want to use and save yourself some time. 

I couldn't copy the link for some reason but you can find it like this:

Forums > Business > Generic Boiler Plate Wedding Contract > Page 4 > Quote by : kelsiedelizzle Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 3:08pm

Good luck and God bless!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%