Doweling Cakes

Decorating By msalasek Updated 12 Nov 2016 , 1:47am by DormCat

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 6

I don't make tiered cakes often, most of the time when I make a two tiered cake the bottom tier is styrofoam, so the cake doesn't need doweling. But when I do make tiered cakes that don't include styrofoam I can never get the top tier perfectly straight. I am a home baker, so I don't have a lot of money to spend on crazy doweling mechanisms. I've always just used the simple method of wooden dowels. I have to cut them myself which is difficult enough, and when I do they never turn out perfect. I have a 3 tier wedding cake coming up and I want it to be perfect. I need help!

5 replies
Cookie269 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie269 Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 3:18am
post #2 of 6

you can buy those "fat bubba straws" (bubble tea straws) from amazon. Very cheap and shipping is mostly free. for about $3-$4 you can get about 50. But they take 3-4 weeks to get delivered. watch YouTube tutorial on Krazy Kool Kakes by Laura. She explains it really good. All you need are those straws and a pair of scissors ! :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 4:24am
post #3 of 6

Can you get wilton plastic dowels? They are not expensive and easy to cut. I use them for all my tiered cakes.

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

I've always wanted to try the straws, but I never knew which ones to get. Maybe I'll make a practice cake this weekend using the straws and see how it goes. Thank you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 6

When tiering cakes most of the time the top tier is just a 6" (usually round) so there is little weight.  I have found using regular drink straw like one can get at many fast food places (McD especially) are just perfect.  No need to get special ones. 

I have even used them for cakes up to 10"x4" so I know they work.

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 12 Nov 2016 , 1:47am
post #6 of 6

I use the thick straws all the time and they hold up great. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%