How To Make These Paper Fan Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By Minileo Updated 5 Dec 2016 , 7:04pm by Minileo

Minileo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minileo Posted 5 Nov 2016 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 14

Hello lovely ladies

I am asked to bake a baby shower cake which has round paper fans (Pic attached) How do I make these? Any tutorial? Also how do I achieve peach & mint color for fondant. Thank you so much in advance for your feedback.[postimage id="5562" thumb="900"]

13 replies
pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 5 Nov 2016 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 14

I'd make a fan out of something like cardstock to use as a template. I'd probably use gumpaste or add a little tylose to my fondant.

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 12:27am
post #3 of 14

Tupperware had a cover to their round containers with a pattern similar I would look for such like this

Image result for round tupperware fan lid

I do not think you would find a conventional mold....you would have to think out of the box on this one :)

Creativeconfectioner Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 12:29am
post #4 of 14

I saw these supposed to be sold on ebay

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 12:49am
post #6 of 14

I would make them out of wafer paper instead of fondant. While I'm sure you could do something like it in fondant, I think it would be easier in wafer paper.

Minileo Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 4:19am
post #7 of 14

Hello everyone, I was out of town so very sorry for replying late. Thank you so much for all your input. @pastychef ‍ that's a cool idea, would like to try that for sure. @Creativeconfectioner ‍ Wow I could see those two impression molds I want. let's see if these are affordable with all the shipping and handling and it would cut most of my hard work. @WYBee ‍ I never used wafer paper :( . Thanks again everyone !!

tennacvol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennacvol Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 14

I second the call for wafer paper.  The first video shows how to make a full fan out of paper bags, but I imagine it could be applied to wafer paper.  The second shows how she makes a wafer paper half fan.  You can find wafer at a lot of stores.

tennacvol Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 14
Minileo Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 14

@tennacvol ‍ thank you for the videos. Can I stick wafer paper fans on the cake just like any fondant cut outs (eg. baby bottle, diaper pic etc) ? Here she is inserting only a small part of fan in the cupcake. thanks.

tennacvol Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 14

I was hoping someone else might pop in and answer the question about sticking them to fondant.  I am guessing because it is wafer paper, it will stick if you wet it with water or water/tylose mix like any other fondant addition.  But if that does not work, then I would be looking at making it stick with royal icing hidden underneath the fan where no one could see it.  I hope someone with experience can answer your question better though.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2016 , 10:37pm
post #12 of 14

Unless it has changed since I used it I don't think wafer paper is going to work.  It is not plyable therefor it will crack when you try to fold it.  If you do try it sticking it to fondant I suggest using just a dab of b'cream.  Water will dessivolve wafer paper.  Maybe just the tiniest dot of water would work but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

I think you might be better off trying this idea with very, very thin fondant.

Minileo Posted 11 Nov 2016 , 12:20am
post #13 of 14

@tennacvol ‍ thanks for your suggestion. I will keep that in mind. @kakeladi ‍ I am planning on trying the cradstock rubbed with lots of cornstarch to avoid sticking & then the impression one if 1st one doesn't work for me. I will get back with the final results ones the cake is all done. I still have 2.5 weeks to figure out. Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback & time.

Minileo Posted 5 Dec 2016 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 14

Hello Friends, I am back with my final cake. That's how my fondant paper fans looked like. I simply cut a circle and carved deep lines with my fondant's blade tool. I think it looks good if not best LOL...Once again thank you so much for all your suggestions. Appreciate it !!

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3383377/baby-girl-shower-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%