First Cake Tasting Bride Only Requested Carrot Cake

Business By OshCakes Updated 1 Nov 2016 , 11:13am by Jeff_Arnett

OshCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OshCakes Posted 31 Oct 2016 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!

Wondering if anyone can share their experience with me. I am preparing for my first wedding cake tasting, and the bride has specified that she and the groom would like carrot cake- sans raisins, with nuts (pecans).

My question is this, should I bring additional, non-carrot flavors of cake, filling and frosting to the tasting?

I am planning on having 3 versions of carrot cake; "chunky" with toothy pieces of pecan and medium grain carrot/coconut shereds, fine, and nut-free (option when discussing nut-allergy)..

Would love to hear from this fabuous community!

Osh

3 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 1:15am
post #2 of 4

Since they specifically requested carrot cake without the nuts and raisins, I wouldn't make any with them. 

Is the cake going to be more than one tier?  If so, I would make vanilla or chocolate and possibly red velvet to give them other options. As far as frosting, just vanilla and a cream cheese.

Remember, it's just a tasting, not dessert.

OshCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OshCakes Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 5:16am
post #3 of 4

Hi JGifford, 

Thanks for the reply! I may have mistyped in my original post, requested carrot cake with nuts (w/o raisins:)

The cake will have tiers, and I like your idea of providing a few additional 'neutral' flavors. It seems like it would be strange to arrive with only one flavor..

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 11:13am
post #4 of 4

I feel as a baker you have to both grant a couple's wishes and yet guide them in their choices too.  I often remind couples that, while this is their day, they are hosting a party for their family and friends and should provide some variety to please the many different tastes that will be in attendance.  While they may love carrot cake, not everyone else does.  I'd at least offer one more choice such as vanilla....I know many bakers think vanilla is "plain" but I love vanilla cake, and I think the greatest majority of people do too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%