First Two Tier

Baking By Tricesweetaddiction Updated 19 Oct 2016 , 3:38pm by kakeladi

Tricesweetaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tricesweetaddiction Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone, 

I am a self taught baker. decorator. I am making my first two tier cake soon.My cousin pretty much letting me come up withe design as long as it has a 49er theme. I wanted to what are some tips/advice for baking a tier cake and using fondant.  How can i achieve the 49ers colors. Im sorry for all the question. lol

6 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 7

Google 49ers football cake and look at images of different designs. I am only a hobby cake maker and I do not like fondant. Hopefully others here will give you some advice. I did see one cake that looks like a football field with 49ers written on the field goal ends. They have many also with fondant. While waiting for others to reply you should check it out. 

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 7

Hi @Tricesweetaddiction ‍ I saw this chart a while ago and thought it might help you with the 49er colors.  It should work with fondant as well and gel colors instead of those drops. Just keep eyeballing the color as you mix it in and remember that colored fondant darkens after a day or two when you let it rest. I recently heard a little tip too to always let colored fondant rest for a few days after you color it to avoid sagging on your cake. Bake the cakes in advance (I normally do 3-4 days) and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and foil so that they are easier to handle on the day of decorating. Hope this helps! 

Image result for nfl fondant color chart

Tricesweetaddiction Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 5:54am
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much. When should I coat the cake in the crumb coat??

Tricesweetaddiction Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 5:55am
post #5 of 7

Thank you. Any advice is good advice. I found the design i want to do I just trying to find ways to tackle it.

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 7

It depends on how much time you have on the day it's due and how much decorating you need to do on the cake after its covered in fondant. For example my 2 tier baseball cake in my photos I crumb-coated in the morning of a Saturday, Iced and let chill and covered it in fondant by Saturday evening. I then put each covered tier in its on corrugated box and wrapped the box in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge (sometimes if you tape the box closed well enough you dont have to wrap it in the plastic wrap.) Then on Sunday morning I pull both boxes out and put them in an air conditioned room (DONT take them out of the box yet until they have been sitting in front of the air conditioner for about 1-2 hours. This will prevent your fondant from sweating.) Then I pull them out and go ahead and decorate. Sorry that was a full book lol. But it really depends on how you manage your time. Put in mind that you have to wait for the crumb coat to set than the outer icing to set and you dont want to have to rush that the day of smile.png

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 7

....When should I coat the cake in the crumb coat??.....some tips/advice for baking a tier cake and using fondant.....

Answer:  It sounds to me like you would benefit from a beginners class.  You would learn many of these things in class and perfect what you already have taught yourself.

you can bake as far ahead as you want (months!)  if you have freezer space to store the cake.  Otherwise most cakes keep fresh only for 3 - 4 at the most - days.  This means the longer ahead of the party you bake it the less time the customer has to eat it.  (Freezing lengthens that time.)  You have to have some idea how fast you can work.  Once a cake has been baked and cooled completely one can put the layers together with filling then crumb coat it and freeze or continue to the final icing & decorating,    

Fondant needs to be kneaded rather well (but can become over kneaded)  before being rolled out to a thickness of a cake board.  Always roll it out 2x bigger than the cake.  Watch as many YouTube videos as you can to know how to cover a cake with it.    There is no need to chill a crumb coated cake before covering it with a thicker layer of b'cream or fondant unless you are not going to  continue working on it.

You see there are soooo many different things that effect how & when one works on a cake and how long it will take.  It is difficult to tell you everything needed.  I have never gone through all that Miss.Renyolds does.  Everyone has a different approach to decorating cakes.  Lots of it depends on your location as the weather and various ingredients has a great effect on our work! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%