Curdled?

Baking By peachx2 Updated 15 Sep 2016 , 2:36pm by -K8memphis

peachx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachx2 Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 9:28am
post #1 of 6

Made a lemon cake.  Used one-for- one gluten free flour.  Fresh lemon zest.  When it came time to alternate dry ingredients with milk - I only had fat free - immediately the mixture had what appeared to be small white balls.  They would disappear when the flour was added and reappear with milk.  I went ahead and baked any way.  The texture was not good - it basically was one big crumb when cut into; hence the taste was not good either.  Was it the lemon zest or the lack of fat in milk?  

• 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup Earth's Balance
  • 1 1/4 cups organic cane sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup fat free milk
  • 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
  • In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and  approximately one tablespoon of lemon zest . Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.

adapted from preppy kitchen

http://preppykitchen.com/aliquam-ultricies-felis-at-eleifend-bibendum-neque-libero-euismod-mauris-et-vehicula-lacus-elit-sit-amet-magna-2

5 replies
Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 9:53am
post #2 of 6

Did you have all ingredients at room temperature?  If some of your ingredients are cold, that can cause a separation of the proteins in the eggs or milk.   Sometimes the addition of a couple more tablespoons of flour will cure this, but will also make a heavier cake.  

peachx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachx2 Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 6

Hmm, The milk was cold.  

I'm to try it again and see what happens.

thanks.

kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 6

The lack of fat would cause lack of flavor. Also, does the gluten free blend you use contain gums (xanthan and/or guar)?

kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 6

Also, gluten free blends tend to be flavorless because they are very very starchy. To combat this, you need to up the flavor profile i.e. extracts. Double the vanilla extract and add more zest.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2016 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 6

idk three tablespoons of zest is a lot of zest already don't you think -- oh what you could do here is rub the 3T of zest into some sugar to release the oils -- that will definitely up the flavor of the zest --

my idea is try buttermilk -- it has a way of emulsifying things better than milk -- and the water content of the earth balance is important but what you can do about it idk -- and yes you need a flour blend that has the xanthan gum that kramersl recommends or some applesauce or just add some xanthan gum -- a little goes a long long way -- make sure it is well incorporated

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%