Vegan Vanilla Cake Recipe

Baking By ArtOfCake-NewYork Updated 8 Oct 2017 , 7:43pm by yortma

ArtOfCake-NewYork Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtOfCake-NewYork Posted 9 Aug 2016 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 13

I've been asked to make a vegan cake!  the client wants a vanilla cake! Lord! Would you happen to have a vegan vanilla cake recipe with vegan buttercream that works under fondant and it half way good tasting? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank u!

12 replies
jackie1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie1956 Posted 10 Aug 2016 , 12:38am
post #2 of 13

If you start knowing that 3 tablespoons of chick pea brine (that is the liquid from a can of chick peas) is equivelant to 1 egg white, you can then find good recipes for vanilla cake using only egg white. Then use nutlex or other shortening with no butter or milk in it and almond or other nut based milk instead of any milk.

EverAfter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverAfter Posted 4 Oct 2017 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 13

Craftsy has some vegan recipes :)

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 4 Oct 2017 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 13

I have a good chocolate cake recipe that is vegan but haven't worked on a vanilla yet.  For the frosting, just substitute vegan butter into ABC.  There is even  good vegan cream cheese, sour cream and yogurt available. (Whole foods is your best bet).  I found a powdered egg substitute that I have used in carrot cake and banana bread, (and also scrambles up pretty well) to replace real eggs.  Use vegan butter, almond or soy milk as substitutes as well.  to make buttermilk, add a tsp of vinegar per one cup non dairy milk.

Remember that gelatin (marshmallows) whey protein, and honey are not vegan - look at the fondant ingredients carefully.  Cocoa butter and cocoa  are vegan and most semi sweet and bittersweet chocolate is vegan - read the label!  hope that helps!

Vegan Vanilla Cake Recipe

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 4 Oct 2017 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 13

Try gretchensveganbakery.com she is a pastry chef that has converted to veganism

yortma Posted 5 Oct 2017 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 13

I love a challenge and I am retired so yesterday I set out to find a good vegan vanilla cake recipe.  I didn't have high hopes to be honest, but I found  a lovely light fluffy delicious recipe which is a snap to make as well.  It is truly on a par with my favorite non vegan recipe, and far better than I ever expected.  I tried 7 or 8 recipes, most of which went right into the trash until I felt that I had narrowed it down to the list of ingredients that were working but needed tweaking and tried several variations until I found this one on line.  It is really good!   Already in my binder.   I used regular almond milk (not unsweetened) and did not reduce the sugar.  I used the egg substitute I posted above and increased the vanilla a bit.  Otherwise exactly as written.  I made half recipe which made a nice 7" so consider the full recipe good for a single 9 or 10".  It does dome a bit and would need to be leveled.  I used cake strips and might use a heat core and lower the temp a bit next time, but I level most everything anyway.  I'll post pictures below.  

https://www.egglesscooking.com/vegan-white-cake/?erprint

yortma Posted 5 Oct 2017 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 13

Vegan Vanilla Cake RecipeVegan Vanilla Cake RecipeVegan Vanilla Cake Recipe

Here are a few photos.  Hope this helps and saves you some time and money on trial and error!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Oct 2017 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 13

yortma, that was so sweet of you -- you're the best

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 5 Oct 2017 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 13

If you follow Joshua John Russel's Man About Cake on Youtube, all his recipes appear to be vegan.  I've made his chocolate cake and it was very good.  He has vanilla and red velvet recipes for sure...perhaps other along with icing recipes as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcsBpRN1l9YsaLoElmJj2Jg

yortma Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 3:38am
post #10 of 13

Thanks K8.  I love a challenge.  Just wish this type wasn't so fattening!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 11:06am
post #11 of 13

that was really cool of you to try the recipes out yortma. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 13

Yortma what a sweet thing for you to do!! You are so kind hearted and thoughtful!!! 

yortma Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%