Gold Highlighter Loses Shine After Alcohol Has Dried?

Decorating By taartenmaker Updated 6 Aug 2016 , 9:14pm by costumeczar

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 5

hey everyone

when i mix my gold highlighter with alcohol ( I use Becardi ) it becomes a beautifull paint with a wonderfull shimmer. but after i paint it on to fondant and let it dry overnight the next day she shimmer is completely gone and the gold has lost its shine?

do i need to use another kind of alcohol or is it because of my highlighter ( I use Ideal Pastry)

thanks!!!

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 5

ll of the gold colors will lose their shine eventually. If you buy one that's pre-made, as opposed to mixing a dust in vodka, it seems to last a little longer, but it will still get dull eventually. What I do is paint the liquid paint on, then let it dry and dust over it with the luster dust again to improve the shine. That will work with gumpaste, but if you're painting directly onto a cake your best bet is to find one of the edible paints and paint the color on as close to display time as possible.

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 5

Quote by @costumeczar on 1 hour ago

ll of the gold colors will lose their shine eventually. If you buy one that's pre-made, as opposed to mixing a dust in vodka, it seems to last a little longer, but it will still get dull eventually. What I do is paint the liquid paint on, then let it dry and dust over it with the luster dust again to improve the shine. That will work with gumpaste, but if you're painting directly onto a cake your best bet is to find one of the edible paints and paint the color on as close to display time as possible.

thank you for your advise, the last part is what I am doing right now!! painting over the gold parts right before dilivery LOL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 5

also if you need small areas to stay shimmery -- using the gold in a little piping gel and a dash of confectioner's sugar works too -- for piping out of a mini cornet 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @taartenmaker on 5 hours ago

Quote by @costumeczar on 1 hour ago

thank you for your advise, the last part is what I am doing right now!! painting over the gold parts right before dilivery LOL

Yeah, that's basically what ends up happening :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%