Three Tiered Birthday Cake For A Friend Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 5 Aug 2016 , 12:17am by kakeladi

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 4

My friend wants me to make this cake for her birthday but she only needs 60 party sized slices. I want to make sure they are generous size slices as most people throwing a birthday party don't use specific cutting guides. What three size cakes do you think I should make to feed this size of group. She doesn't like fondant so I will be using my crusting buttercream. Does anyone have any tips for achieving a nice clean black icing stencil?  Can anyone tell me what kind of flowers these are? [postimage id="4856" thumb="900"] Thank you

3 replies
Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 4

I see 2 options that I would do myself. 

1: 12" and 9" real tiers + 6" fake tier  

2: 10" 8" 6"  real tiers  

I like 1.5-2" difference in tiers so I would pick option 1.

For stencils, I use the technique from evil cake genius . You get the stencil that you want, attach it to the cake and cover it with tulle. Spread your black RI over it with an applicator and try to be neat as black is fairly unforgiving . Remove the tulle and stencil at the same time . Look up the videos at evil cake for the visuals, practice on a sheet of fondant to get the hang of it. 

The flowers are sugar peonies I'm fairly certain.

Hope that helps,

Frank

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you Frank that's what I thought on the flowers. She wants black flowers and I have never made a peony before. I will look up the video.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 12:17am
post #4 of 4

I have done similar work using all b'cream.  Ice the cake w/crusting b'cream letting it dry well.  Cover w/tulle then place the stencil and spread the same icing over the stencil.  Remove the stencil, allowing the tulle to stay in place for a short time (5-10 minutes) before removing it slowly/carefully.

As for size of tiers I prefer 2-2.5" so would choose to use 12, 9, 6.  It also makes the cake easier to transport.   I tall thin tower such as 10.,8, 6 allows for less stabilize cake and transporting disasters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%