Cupcake Menu

Business By Jenna217 Updated 31 Jul 2016 , 3:10pm by Jenna217

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 3:43am
post #1 of 4

Hi all!  I primarily do custom cakes but I've been wanting to move more into the specialty cupcake realm as they're easier and faster to turn out than cakes.  I'm formulating a menu and as my ideas keep going, my list keeps getting longer by the day.

I'm wondering, based on your experiences, if it's better to have a wide variety of flavor options or if it's better to keep the menu short with one or two 'flavor of the month' options that rotate throughout the year to add in more seasonal flavors as they roll around.

TIA! 

3 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 6:52am
post #2 of 4

It depends if you will open a store front where you have to have cupcakes ready to sell every day or if you work from home on order only.

Cupcakes are so easy to make why would you limit yourself? Even if you have a store front your menu could/should be wider and include the classics along with modern flavors. And it doesn't mean that you have to make it overcomplicated. A simple vanilla cupcake can be infused with alcohol or filled with curd or similar and boom you have already 10 or 20 different cupcakes. Add 10 different frostings and your list is endless. Just saying... I know I made it sound easier than it is but without knowing exactly what you do (store front? Are you alone? What's your target group? Etc pp). 

Basically I'd say focus on what sells best in your area or for the niche you've discovered and keep your menu exciting but not unmanageable for yourself. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 6:55am
post #3 of 4

Oh and definitely have a minimum order of X amount  (whatever gives you a good profit margin). You probably don't wanna slave in your kitchen making 12 chocolate vanilla cupcakes from scratch to order for 3$ each.

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Julia!  I don't have a storefront but so do have a licensed commercial kitchen in my home.  I am going to have an order requirement of a minimum of a dozen in a single flavor.  I've come up with a  list that will have all of the bases be standard chocolate or vanilla that can easily be changed with extract or alcohols.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%