How Do You Clean Up?

Baking By kakeladi Updated 29 Jul 2016 , 7:10pm by -K8memphis

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 17

I have desperately tried for a couple of weeks now to think up something to start a new thread but alass nothing has come to mind. O.k..........let's try this:

When you clean up do you soak the pans, equipment in HOT water?  How long?  Do you wipe/massage/clean each piece for at least 20 seconds?   The health depts say when one washes hands it would be with soap and hot water for 20 seconds.....do you wash each piece of equipment for that long?  

Do you put any of your equipment in the dishwasher?  If not why?  

16 replies
TheMadBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheMadBaker Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 17

I don't bake professionally... just a hobby. And I don't sell anything.  When I do a lot of decorating with buttercream, I will put my tips into the dishwasher as well as the mixing bowl especially if I've used Crisco in it because that's difficult to get out (in my opinion).  I don't put pans in the dishwasher because they always leave little marks in my pans.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 17

Ohhh the dishes my least favorite thing EVER lol. We have a 3 part process wash, rinse and sanitize and they have to air dry. The detergent is for commercial use and it really irritates my skin I hate it. I always dry my offset spatulas and tips with paper towel otherwise I'm afraid they will rust. My mixer bowl is my least favorite to wash and I usually end up spilling water all over myself trying to man handle that thing lol. I always tease my husband that the first person I'd hire was a dishwasher or get a commercial dishwasher wishful thinking I know  :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 17

my favorite time was when my brother was here for one of the kids weddings and he just rolled up his sleeves and did all the dishes  -- geez glad he finally came in handy for something relaxed.png

but i was nano-seconds from getting a pretty little commercial dishwasher locally in an auction once -- same size as a home one but alas i was outbid at the last minute -- my home dishwasher takes forever to complete a cycle -- idk it's like 10 minutes or two minutes in a commercial one --

the big deal here is 30 seconds if memory serves -- maybe it is 20, lynne i can't remember -- sticking in the little pieces of paper -- yeah three parts and air dry --

working with others is the trip --

oh man one time this chick spilt the whole freakin' bucket of floor wash water coming through the doorway -- caught the rollers and she just kept pulling --

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 17

clap.png nowadays my husband mainly does the dishes relaxed.png

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 17

Oh wow!

I think I better change my methods - Is it not ok to let the kiddo lick the spatula and bowls clean and just put them back in the cupboard?

Just kidding :-) I only bake at home but we do not have a dishwasher, I just rinse mine as I start the dishes and give them a few minutes to soak before washing them out and air drying.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 17

I put as much stuff in the dishwasher as I can, but I do the cake pans by hand to make sure they get clean. 

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2016 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 17

a sweet cake buddy molds her cake pans with waxed paper and she never washes them -- never has to -- brilliant woman in so many ways

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 6:22am
post #9 of 17

O.k.....but, but...........do you rub/wipe/clean for at least 20 seconds on each piece?  Or does the soaking time count in your mind?

No DW here nor was there in the bakery either so soaking in as hot as I could get the water took care of most of the grease.  Then usually just a quick swipe w/the soapy dishcloth finished the job.

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 10:15am
post #10 of 17

I put into dishwasher all what I can... I clean by hand (soak in hot water to release the grease and stuff) and scrub with mild soap and rinse/dry things that do not fit, or some pans, or if I need to use those tools again for a different thing, and can't wait for a dishwasher cycle. I don't like the idea of food poisoning or other contamination, so I clean well, but without enjoyment :-) Don't know if 20 seconds per piece. 

Surfaces - I clean after using raw food (eggs, etc) - duh, I know. And I generally clean as I go, just can't stand the mess and clutter on my work surfaces, or worry about a small unnoticed dot of food coloring ruining a whole slab of fondant, or some fear like that. Clutter makes me mess up, too. 

Above all, I HATE CLEANING. I love to cook and bake and decorate, but I still don't understand why there is no magic of sorts, that cleans stuff. I hate it. Takes away time. 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 17

i thought it was 20 seconds in the sanitizer?

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 17

ain't it twenny seconds in each one? i distinctly remember being annoyed if I had one utensil left and I had to play the game in each compartment -- but is it 20 in rinse too? can't remember -- don't want to heheheheheh -- I like to block out some of the more disturbing  baggage hahahahah

Webake2gether Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 17

I'm sooo totally lazy today lol here is what we are to follow in my county

[postimage id="4771" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 4:28pm
post #14 of 17

yeah I'm easily led/swayed these days -- it was just sanitize that was timed pretty sure? 

and that's exactly why they make the little signs hahahahaha 

that's why Santa should put a commercial dishwasher under everyone's gingerbread Christmas tree -- or drop off an elf -- right?

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 17

I really don't have any idea of what is exactly required  when washing dishes especially for those of you w/legal status.  I guess that would vary from county to county and of course state to state and country.  All I was thinking about was the suggestion/rule(??) of washing hands w/hot/warm water and soap for 20 sec.  (Each time I have to use a public bathroom and find only cold water I think of this.)   I just applied that 'rule' to the  equipment we use.  Now that I am a home decorator - mostly retired, making only maybe 1 cake a month - I think about cleaning up when I am doing it.  I have a VERY! small apt w/no dishwasher,  so I must clean as I go for the most part.    

Thanks for sharing your stories.  But for those just coming across this post......don't hesitate to add to it.  Even if it yrs down the pike:)

Webake2gether Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 5:42pm
post #16 of 17

In our sanitation class we learned for hand washing it's less about the temp of the water and more about the soap and friction of the hands to kill the germs. I have a home dishwasher so rarely do our personal dishes by hand but when I do I don't really soak them at all unless it's a tough stuck on type mess but I rinse it warm/hot water and towel dry them. I basically do the opposite upstairs than I do commercially. 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2016 , 7:10pm
post #17 of 17

another big deal - i was told it's the biggest but who knows --  in hand washing is that you wet hands in running water first then use soap --

but i think the all time takes the cake biggest deal is in the history of hand washing -- in the 1800's child birth patients regularly died because docs back then didn't wash up in between cases -- doc semmelweis tried to explain about the benefits of washing up -- his colleagues laughed him into an early grave although of course it was true

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%