Powdered Color In Fondant

Decorating By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 24 Jul 2016 , 2:29am by SweetTartCakery

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 8

I am sure This has Been asked before but I've looked and looked. I'm trying to make red and black fondant with powdered colors. Does anyone know how much to use?

7 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 22 Jul 2016 , 6:08am
post #2 of 8

Tons lol.

No seriously red and black is quite difficult to achieve. It's easier to start with chocolate fondant for black  (can you get black cocoa?). If I make it I start some days before I need it and colour over 2-3 days, letting it cure (or how would one call it?) in between as the colour darkens/intensifies over time. If you make mmf you can use candy melts.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 22 Jul 2016 , 6:11am
post #3 of 8

Oh and I should mention that I use gel colours as the powdered ones are of poor quality here and very salty which makes my fondant spotty. So am not able to give advise on that...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2016 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 8

I have never tried this but my thought would be to dissolve the powder in HOT water just enough to make a paste then add  that to the fondant.

SweetTartCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTartCakery Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 12:02am
post #5 of 8

I just did this with red and black. There's no one answer as it depends on the amount of fondant you're colouring. I just added and kneaded and added more until it was the righ shade. definitely do it at least the day before as time will darken it. [postimage id="4712" thumb="900"]

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 1:15am
post #6 of 8

My recommendation is to use already tinted red and black. That is what I do. Trial and error is costly, both money and time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 2:10am
post #7 of 8

sweettartcakery-- that is magnificent -- wow wow and wow

i'm with gscout on the fondant -- buying it pre-colored

SweetTartCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTartCakery Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 2:29am
post #8 of 8

Thanks K8! This was my first order after taking a few months off to have a baby. Happy to get my hands (and kitchen) dirty again :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%