Help With A Baptism/birthday Cake

Decorating By kstevens Updated 22 Jul 2016 , 7:53am by kayra850

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 2:47am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to do a baptism/birthday cake with not much to go on so far as details.  It's one of those deals where I don't t think they really know what they want and they are thinking "you're the cake decorator so what do you think?". These are friends of a friend so I don't know them or the birthday girl so it is a little harder to come up with a design.  

I sent images for ideas but was told they were all more complicated than they are thinking.  What they want is a simple 9x13" slab cake with maybe a cross on one half and happy birthday on the other side.  It's for a little girl who is being baptized on her second birthday.

If it was a tiered cake I'd do one tier baptism and one birthday but I am a little stumped as to how I should do a slab cake and have it flow/not look odd.

Does anyone have any ideas they are willing to share?

Thank you in advance for your time,

Kelly

7 replies
argentina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argentina Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 3:54am
post #2 of 8

Hi, I hope I will be able to describe my idea to you without a picture!

if you put two or three roses on the left top corner and bring some pretty green vines with flowers coming from them,  diagonally across the cake to the bottom right corner,you can then place your cross under those and  use the space above on the right to write happy birthday...you should also bring some vines to the left and right of the roses to fill in, but just dainty, not overpowering. It sounds like they want something simple, I hope this helps. I found this picture that shows the vines i'm talking about:[postimage id="4678" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 8

argentina that's a wonderful suggestion.  I hope the OP agrees :)

kstevens Posted 20 Jul 2016 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 8

@argentina ‍ thank you for the idea :-).  I had seen something similar to this that was made to look even more like a book. I don't necessarily want to do a book and wondered if would look right without the bookmark as a divider to split the two occasions.  I have received a little more input to go on which I hope along with your idea will bring the cake together.  Thanks again!

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 8:23am
post #5 of 8

hello kstevens,

I like idea of @argentina ‍ where the cake is separated in hlaf for both occasions. My suggestion : perhaps to separate cake diagonally just to lose book look. This dagonal can be litlle wavy or a straight line. I prefere wavy. 

You will get two triangles. I would do one triangle in white color with light pink cross for baptism part. Secound triangle I woul do in light pink colour for birthday part.

Suggestion 1: on the pink part I would put small-smaller-bigger dots in white, light violet and pink colour. This is total poor decoration as your costumer wish.

Suggestion 2: Instead dots you can put small flowers with green vines here-there.

I made drowing to show you my ideas, but I can't paste it here evendo I was traying many times.

good luck :-)

kstevens Posted 21 Jul 2016 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 8

@kayra850 ‍ thank you for your thoughts and taking time to do a drawing even if you couldn't post it.  I have received a little more feedback as in they would like a white cross, the birthday girl's name in the center of the cake and a little black and white dog for the birthday aspect of the cake.  I'm about to sketch it all out and see how t looks.  I'll post the cake this weekend.

argentina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argentina Posted 22 Jul 2016 , 12:54am
post #7 of 8

Hi again, a little more feedback from your customer cetainly helps. Can't wait to see your cake. And I'm sorry for the confusion, the picture of the bible cake I posted was meant only to show the green vines

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 22 Jul 2016 , 7:53am
post #8 of 8

@kstevens ‍ thank you and I looking forward to see your cake. I am sure you will do it fine.

@argentina ‍ your picture was helpfull to me. When kstevens ask for ideas, first I was having blank rectangle 9x13 and I couldnt get any idea how to join baptism and bithday together in one cake. That is way this task was interesting to me. When I sow your picture of book and vines and flowers, ideas start up comming. Your picture was start point. So you see, any idea can help in some way. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%