Most Interesting Cake Requests

Lounge By Webake2gether Updated 13 Jan 2017 , 8:13am by Dar917

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 51

After getting a request for a drunken minion cake I started  thinking back to some of our strangest  request we've had and thought there probably has to be some better than a drunk minion lol so what are your strangest cake requests? And did You fulfill them?

** we are not doing the cake we've headed another direction with the cake thankfully :) 

50 replies
Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 51

A had a request for a standing  minion cake to feed 60 people. Imagine two 9" round  and tall cakes stacked and carved. 

I immediately told them I don't do licensed char. Cakes. Instead they got 12" square, simple design cake.

Webake2gether Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 51

That's exactly why we guided them in another direction.we don't do copyright protected cakes.  She totally understood she knows I'm a rule follower. It will still be a cake that isn't my taste but I can compromise I don't have to like them all right it's not my cake :) 

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 51

The weirdest/worst was the person that for this baby cake below for their son's baptism. They specified that they wanted an EXACT replica of that cake; I just told them that I can never promise to do exact replicas of cakes and then moved along; thankfully! It the most creepy cake I've ever been asked to make..yet anyways.

[postimage id="4607" thumb="900"]

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 51

Oh my ......I can't imagine cutting into the ............ouch!!!

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 51

Quote by @carolinecakes on 11 minutes ago

Oh my ......I can't imagine cutting into the ............ouch!!!

I know who would want to cut into a baby shaped cake at a baptism.

Webake2gether Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 51

@Gingerlocks ‍ Oh wow!! That takes the cake in strange!!! I have a severe body part cake issue I will not do them. Baby bottoms, belly bumps, babies and wee wees are totally off limits lol :) 

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 1:12am
post #8 of 51

I did a sinking Titanic cake recently. Kind of an odd request, but apparently the birthday boy (he's six) is obsessed with all things Titanic.

[postimage id="4608" thumb="900"]

This is weird. I can't get the photo to rotate correctly. Sorry about that.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 7:29am
post #9 of 51

Oh my goodness! @jselle ‍ I was going to put MY sinking Titanic requested by a 6 year old! Yours is for Luke and mine was for Lucas - how bizarre is that? My 6 year old even showed up at my house wearing a titanic t-shirt!

My version of a Titanic cake on Pinterest - chocolate cake and modeling chocolate:

I guess my other weird request was for a durian cake that looked like a durian. This thing stunk up my entire neighborhood!

Durian inside and out!  Durian cake with durian buttercream filling and SMBC durian spikes on the outside:

jselle Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 51

Wow, @Pastrybaglady ‍, that's bizarre. What are the chances? Must be a 6-year-old thing!  I've never actually smelled a durian, but I've heard that it's incredibly disgusting. Lucky you. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 51

pastrybaglady -- you made me laugh -- 'stinking up the neighborhood' -- I had durian ice cream once and while it was stinky it was really good -- I bet your cake was delicious 

both the Titanic cakes are very well done -- great in that seriously tragic way and the similarities beyond that are kinda creepy --

if my kid loved Titanic like that I would explain it better to them --

idk that 's weird all right

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 51

FDR riding a shark! Turned out more like John Kerry riding a whale but the customer loved it :p

[postimage id="4615" thumb="900"]

Webake2gether Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 51

Wow and I thought a drunken minion was strange!!! Love these quirky cakes!! Thanks for sharing everyone!! 

@jselle ‍ and @Pastrybaglady ‍ totally crazy to have such identical orders!!! Well done ladies :)

the durian cake looks beyond interesting and while I've never seen one let alone eat one I seen an episode of chopped where they had to use it and nobody was happy about that lol. I want to smell it now just to say I know what it's like!!

@Naivohw ‍ may I ask how the client picked those two very different elements to go together?? I bet it's funny it's like one of those things you have to do on a lost bet lol. 

Webake2gether Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 51

@Pastrybaglady ‍ you have a cat riding a whale don't you?? 

Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 51

@Webake2gether ‍  Ha ha, indeed I do, but FDR on a shark wins hands down!

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 6:09pm
post #16 of 51

The lady got it for her friend's birthday, and the friends 2 favorite things are FDR and sharks so she decided to combine them for the cake :p

jselle Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 51

I did a Lego-TMNT cake recently  not as weird as a life-like baby, a durian, or FDR on a shark, but odd. 

[postimage id="4616" thumb="900"]

Webake2gether Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 7:15pm
post #18 of 51

Ohhhh I forgot about these cupcakes we did awhile back. These were for a book club that just finished a book called The Nest and she had requested bird nests on the cupcakes and then she said the book was actually about money so we did bird nests with money in them. 

[postimage id="4617" thumb="900"]

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 9:36pm
post #19 of 51

My worst cake request not necessarily weird was an anatomically correct naked old lady cake complete with "gray coconut".  I said no.  I don't do naked, except "naked" wedding cakes.

I somewhat broke my own rule for my weirdest request.  It was for a naked old man bum (what's with old naked requests?) As takes l realistic as possible, with a band aid covering the... ah hem.. hole.  The cake was for a  colon  cancer patient who had a just completed his treatments to give to the doctors and nurses on his last visit.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 10:09pm
post #20 of 51

eww

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 10:56am
post #21 of 51

I am with @Webake2gether ‍ with the body parts. That baby cake scares the hell out of me. It is a triple threat: body parts, baby, and sleeping. I really hate even pictures of babies sleeping "calmly" - not smiling and stuff in their sleep. 

Belly bumps, actual people likenesses, babies - all that is off the request list for me. Zombies are ok. But not "living" folk. I can make a sugar "person" topper, most people keep them as souvenirs anyway. But anything body to cut - gives me massive heebie-jeebies.  

My strangest was technique-related, rather than design. In short, I was asked to do a multi-tiered cake, very moist, super-fluffy, with airy-whipped filling, fresh juicy fruit layers, but without dowels and cake circles/drums/separators, and anything that would "be difficult to cut through". But with fondant finish, and heavy on adornments.  And  "like, can you have it by this weekend?". I nearly said "Ok sure. Would you also like a side of kissmyass with that, too?" (I didn't - not sure how... Maybe my kids were in the room. But you can imagine, how quickly that one was turned down.) 

I also reserve the right to say "this is just so utmost distasteful" - perhaps in more polite terms like "I do not have the equipment to create the shape/construction required" - and suggest to look for a specified design elsewhere. 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 7:06pm
post #22 of 51

@Webake2gether ‍ I must have an odd sense of ha ha as I don't find the drunken minion all that off putting.  I would have made it!

The baby cake.... Now I find that disturbing!!

@Pastrybaglady ‍ I'm not at all familiar with durians but it is an odd looking cake.  

@sugarbritches ‍the old lady request is um....yuck!  The old man bum is an odd request for sure but I guess it makes sense.

My most interesting request was not that strange or odd per say but just not what I would have expected as a request.  Last year when Monster High still seemed to be all the rage I assumed that would be the theme for all the cakes I did for young girls. I was wrong as I received a very specific request from a 7 year old who wanted "a white bunny eating grass with flowers and a squirrel".  Not at all what I was expecting as a request, she scores points for being unique :-)  I never did find out if there was a significance to it.

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 7:27pm
post #23 of 51

@kstevens ‍ That sounds like a really sweet cake, like her fantasy meadow. Do you have a picture?

Webake2gether Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 7:46pm
post #24 of 51

@kstevens ‍ The major reason is because it's copyright protected and quite frankly I don't want to be sued or get in trouble lol I'm a scaredy cat to the highest degree :) I always picture  cute little minions who say "bananaaaaaa" not being hungover lol.  we had a cake for a 7 year old girl who wanted a very specific cake but didn't know how to say it turns outs she wanted a pretty and sophisticated cake with bow and banner I figured it would be my little pony or something cute nope she wanted mature and pretty  :)

kstevens Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 7:54pm
post #25 of 51

@Pastrybaglady ‍ here it is:

[postimage id="4620" thumb="900"]

@Webake2gether ‍ I get ya on the copyright thing.  Wasn't thinking that way cause I'm not a business.  I think the minions are kinda crazy and can actually picture them drinking. Lol

kstevens Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 7:57pm
post #26 of 51

Forgot to say that the bunny is cake with fondant ears (that I didn't make in advance and therefore could not have them stand in up) and the squirrel is made from modeling chocolate which at the time was my first go at it.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 8:02pm
post #27 of 51

[postimage id="4621" thumb="900"]Mine hands down came from my great nephew, who was turning 4. I ended up buying some of the elements, because I am FAR from a pro, but here was his list:

The place where you sleep (a bed)
Judah in bed eating cake
A Christmas tree that plugs in 
A big baby under the tree
Iron man
A tv like Nana's
Batman vacuuming with a shop vac UNDER my bed
A Shop Vac
A white fan that plugs in (couldn't find this anywhere!)
A phone (skipped that part lol he didn't notice)
A black radio that plugs in (ditto above)
A white lamp that plugs in (Nailed it! Dollhouse lamp that we actually had lit up for the party!)

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 8:10pm
post #28 of 51

@kstevens ‍ I knew you would make something adorable and I was right! The squirrel and rabbit look like they could have been made from molded chocolate.

@Tootall ‍ That was quite the list - it's hilarious! I think Batman vacuuming under the bed with a shop vac is my favorite. What an imagination satisfied.png

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 8:14pm
post #29 of 51

@Pastrybaglady ‍ you have no idea! That child!! LOL He was a preemie and has cerebral palsy, so of course I try to accommodate him as much as possible. ;) He had an obsession with ALL things vacuum for YEARS. Even asked for them for holidays and birthdays!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 8:55pm
post #30 of 51

The weirdest ones were requests for my own kids...But some that I've done for paying customers were a dolphin wearing sunglasses riding a unicycle on the beach, a handpainted portrait of a little boy riding on his dog, and a female torso with big boobs wearing a Hooters shirt that said "one lucky baby" for a baby shower. I only did that one because it was the only Hooters-themed baby shower I'd ever heard of (the mom-to-be had apparently grown substantially in the chestal area) so it was just weird enough for me.

Actually, I've done some weird ones for my husband's birthdays...A cell phone that said "u a bitch," which was the first text message he ever got (someone sent it to the wrong number), a painting of Lee Harvey Oswald being shot by Jack Ruby with the message "Now quit pestering me to make you a Ruby cake," and the blown-apart 3D head of Gus from Breaking Bad. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%