Quilted Pattern Help

Decorating By Miss.Reynolds Updated 19 Jul 2016 , 11:01am by -K8memphis

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 10 Jul 2016 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 14

I have a quilted patttern round cake due next week. I am going to quilt the fondant and I have an embossr mat and all the tools I need. My problem is should I use buttercream under the fondant or chocolate ganache? I've done a quilted pattern before but it was on a pillow and I didn't have to worry about sagging sides or anything that would be a huge disaster. I feel like the ganache will be to stiff and won't help make that quilted look. But I live in Sacramento .ca and we are BURNING right now and I'm afraid to use buttercream on a cake that has to travel over an hour to its destination. Not to mention the cake is vanilla confetti with Oreo whipped cream filling. Help me keep my sanity with this cake and it's travel lol. Thanks

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 10:38am
post #2 of 14

i don't use ganache under fondant so i'll leave that one for others --

regarding secure happy relaxed deliveries -- never rely on your car's air conditioner in the summer -- seal the cold cake, not frozen, into a corrugated cardboard box -- add a freezer pack for extra security if you want/need -- you can put the cake into a hot car, not pre-cooled and you'll be fine for hours -- test it for yourself -- it's better than prozac

you got this -- best to you

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 10:43am
post #3 of 14

ok wait -- whipped cream filling has to be kept refrigerated -- it is highly perishable -- so that's a new layer of protection required where the cakes can only be out of temperature for a limited time -- so there's that too

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 14

I've quilted  white fondant over chocolate ganache and it was fine.  Just remember, if you're using you're using the dark chocolate ganache, to NOT roll your fondant too thin.  If you make your quilting lines too deep with thin fondant, you may get a glimpse of the ganache underneath.

You're not going to get the big poofy poofs with ganache because it's not soft like buttercream but you can get a nice quilting affect- no problem.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you @Jinkies ‍! I know chocolate Ganache like the back of my hand now lol. And I know it will stand up to the heat. How thick would you recommend rolling the fondant out?

Miss.Reynolds Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 14

That is too funny @K8memphis! I try to keep the Prozac in a low dosage lol. I think I will use the corrugated box with a freezer pack. I hear alot about letting the cakes rest for a while after you fill them to prevent bulging sides. so If I do go with the buttercream I will do that to help the support. I dont know why this cake is making me so nervous! relaxed.png 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 14

your delivery will be smooth as silk -- i wrap a paper towel around the freezer pack and slide it into a zip lock plastic bag to collect condensation and secure it firmly into the box so my precautions don't become the problem --

no worries blush.png and please update on your adventure

Miss.Reynolds Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you! I sure will smile.png

Jinkies Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 14

I would keep it 1/8 to 1/4".  The deeper you want your quilt lines, the thicker you need your fondant.  I like to stay on the thinner side myself.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 14

Hi @-K8memphis ‍ and @Jinkies ‍ The cake was a success! I ended up using the White chocolate ganache and rolling my fondant out a little thicker than normal. I also put the cake in the Corrugated box with the sealed ice packs for the trip. The ride was smooth and everyone loved the cake. Thank you both for all the help. I put a picture below :) Happy caking! 

[postimage id="4654" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 14

sweetest little cake ever -- glad it all worked out so well! 

Francie had to have been delighted --

better than prozac huh relaxed.png

Jinkies Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 14

Adorable!  Nice clean work, great job!!

Miss.Reynolds Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you both! Francie loved it and she would not let anyone eat Eeyore lol. The Prozac stayed in the medicine cabinet this time lol. Thanks again!

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 11:01am
post #14 of 14

purple_heart.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%